Bottom fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kenczar, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kenczar

kenczar New Member

State:
    Middletown, Ohio
    Is it better to fish the bottom?...Or with a slip bobber setup?

2. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i dont know if its better but i would say go with the slip bobber i think its better but in a river i would fish the bottom

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It depends on the situation you are fishing.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I couldn't agree more! If it's a real snaggy area then you may want to go with slip floats to adjust the depth. I mainly drift fish so I personally bottom fish.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC ken , its all up to where your fishing . if in a lake with no current i would use a float , if in a river with a steady flow of running or swift water i would fish the bottom with a weight that would hold my bait in place .

6. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I usually fish in the river and fish on the bottom.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use both methods, both are effective. When drift fishing, I 've got at least one slip float line out. From the shore, the float rig can act sorta like a jug line, it'll sweep through an area as it moves with the current or wind. Big bobber, big bait, big hook cqn mean a big fish.

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have to agree completely. I most always use a bottom rig when night fishing unless the area I am fishing has a little bit of light to see the float. When fishing during the daylight, I will often times use a slip float unless I am too lazy to change the setup from bottom fishing:cool2:

9. JTehan

JTehan New Member

State:
    florida
    It really does depend on the situation. Both methods work well.

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i would agree with every one i like to fish the bottom in the river

11. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    I have been fishing lately above a couple of dams on the columbia river and snake river. They use slips for fishing up there because of all the snags, So bottom fishing is basicly out of the question.

We fish at 8-10 feet for steelhead and they told me if you drop that down to 15-20 feet that you will catch catfish. I will be trying it tonight I think.

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i usually fish the bottom in liakes and in rivers. i will usually only use a slip rig when there is some coverage i need to float it to or snags on the bottom