Bottom fishing question...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flatheadchris, Apr 5, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well been wondering,it happened to me at least 5 times today.i was fishing in a local small pond for mainly 2-3lb channels and mud cats.well i was using "gulp brand" trout pellets[works better then liver!!!],well i was fishing on the bottom with tight lines,every once in a while i noticed one of my tight lines would all of a sudden loose stiffness,and become very slack.i tried slowly picking to rod up and tried to see if he picked it up and was running but never felt nothing,what is my line getting so slack sometimes? are they just picking it up and dropping it?

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Might of picked it up and dropped it or, ya never know, one might have just bumped the line on it's way by.

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sometime it is a small fish bringing the bait to you instead of running with it and sometime it is a turtle.
    Slowly pull the line in with your hand instead of with the rod. You may be able to feel him before he feels you pick up the rod.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    that happens to me sometimes in one of the rivers i fish, if i reel it in really slow its ussually a crawdad on the line.

5. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    In my limited experience it seems that bullheads like to grab the bait and run at you. Happens to me alot. Usually, if this phenomenon occurs i'll crank in the slack as quick as possible and following the slack with the rod tip towards the water and then give a jawbreaking hookset. If ya miss, oh well, rebait and try again. A quick hookset is better than a guthooked cat in my book.

dru

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I agree with Dru. Sometimes it is a larger fish, most of the time though it is small bullhead.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv had crawfish do this as well , you might try a smaller hook to see if its smaller fish

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They are picking up the bait and moving toward you.

9. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My guess would be a turtle..........they will walk a bait almost all the way to the shore. See any heads sticking out of the pond.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Sometimes, depending on the bait your using, it could be perch or Crappies trying to rid thier spawn sites of potential threats and will "push" it away. could just be a lil ol' Bull-head or a terrapin though too! Just keep watching yur pole end! Good luck Brother!

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Bullheads,lots of time you'll never know they are hooked till you check your bait.

12. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This happens to me everytime I pond fish for smaller cats here in Texas. The fish moves in with the bait causing the slack. Quickly reel in the slack and get ready to set the hook. Typically with the slack reeled in you will feel another thump.

13. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    sometime it's happened to me, I figured it out, it was small bluegills. I tried use small worms and see what happen, I caught few small gills there, now I know...

14. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i bet its a small fish or turtle.

15. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve run into that more than once on rivers around here. I`ve caught quite a few channels of different sizes doing the same thing. I pick up my rod and take the slack up slowly. Seems like it`s a matter of timing but they can be caught. It gets aggrevating then it gets pesonal.

16. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Finicky carp possibly?

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It could be small cats thats doing it.