Bottom Fishing on a Bay

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by ChrisC.729, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whats a good fish on the bottom besides sea catfish that i could catch. im having trouble. i need help can you tell me any baits and what fish i could catch.

thanks, chris

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    On the California coast, rockfish (snapper) and halibut are two types of fish that are typically targeted in shallow water. In San Francisco Bay, halibut and stripers are often targetted. For the rockfish, one may use two hooks at once. Typically, one would use a combination of shrimp/teaser flies, rubber grubs, diamond jigs, hex bars, and scampi jigs.

For the halibut and stripers, one would typically use a three-way rig with main line, sinker, and leader on each of the swivel eyes. Live bait (minnow) is generally used.

-- Rich

3. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thank you so much, i use a 3 way rig, will be trying some more things.

any other help is appreciated

4. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Where are you fishing, Chris?

5. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Sorry thought it said bottom fishing on eBay:embarassed:

6. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Choctawhatchee bay right out of sandestin, florida. all i catch is catfish. I went to a new spot today with my new cast net and looked like i got more than 100 menhaden in my net and i put one on a hook and started casting out and slowly started reeling in but didnt catch anything, any tips? i was fishing off a small boat dock about 30 yards off the bank with a couple of boats hooked up and you could see fish jumping around. I was trying to go for trout but couldnt hook up on anything. Please Help

7. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    You might try hanging one of those live menhaden under a bobber, no weight and no leader. Other than that you could fish under adjacent docks for redfish, sheephead, trout and snapper. Less terminal tackle is always best. I grew up using two or three splitshots 16" up from the hook, no leader.

If you can find any grass flats to wade out to, you will likely do well on trout. Again, a live shrimp or menhaden under a bobber.

Pay your dues and ask the oldtimers in the area. Good luck.

By the way, I certainly hope you are icing those cats well and fileting them with an electric knife. Don`t waste them, Bro.:big_smile:

8. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks seacatfish, you help me alot. i actually was doing what you said about the bobber and the menhaden, but i wasnt getting anything and im new at this so i took the bobber off and started doing like i would if i was bass fishing.
    there is crabs around there, anyway to prevent them from stealing it? where i fish is only about 3-4-5 feet.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was down in that area a couple weeks ago. We were down the road at Seagrove Beach. SR 331 goes across the bay. You will cross over a big bridge and then, towards the north side of the causeway, there is a smaller bridge. It is about 10-12 feet deep under that bridge. We tore up the sea trout and snapper and caught the ocassional redfish. We were using shrimp, dead or alive and fishing them on bottom. The only time we couldn't catch fish is when a pod of dolphins went by, the fish quit biting for some reason :smile2:

Also, we caught some nice pompano and a big redfish surf fishing. We caught all of them on sand fleas thrown out past the first sandbar. I have heard the pompano are hitting pretty good lately, and they are the best eating of all of them, so might wanna give it a try.

Also, in Destin, out by the mouth to the ocean, there is some big rock eddies. A guide we went out with told us alot of grouper, snapper, and rays are caught along those rocks on shrimp. Hope this helps!

10. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks skimax, already went fishing there once with DOA shrimp and didnt catch anything but i took my catfishing rod and reel from home and threw it way out there and caught 2 small catfish. But, thanks to seacatfish, i caught a redfish today, and a big lady fish, both caught off of menhaden, was fishing a 3 way rig off the bottom in about 3 feet of water about 5 feet away from an underwater sand bar. seacatfish, can you tell me trhe best times to fish?

11. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    There ARE optimum times, but you shouldn`t worry about that. You will just end up not going fishing on account of a negative attitude, if you know what I mean. The best time to fish is when you can.

Some places it is best on a flood tide, others the opposite, it seems.

I would like to hear how you do with the rig I mentioned. It is far better than a three-way, in my opinion. Less is always better.

I have never done any good with those DOA shrimp. You have to imagine if you walked into the kitchen and saw a piece of lettuce laying on the counter. As a human, you could tell right away if it had been laying there overnight, right? You wouldn`t touch it. Fish see bait the same way. They may still eat a queer looking bait, `cause they`re basicly starving most of the time, but a nice fresh bait without a lot of tackle attached to it will get wolfed down without hesitation.

Continued good luck.

12. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yea, i went out to the dock today for about 3 hours and i got 2 trout. i caught 1 off a menhaden, then before i left i threw my line out and my menhaden got swapped with a pinfish, looks like the fish made a deal underwater. then i threw out the pin fish and got a pretty speckled trout. ill post a pic.

Attached Files:

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Hey Chris I'm not too sure about Salt Water fishing. I did it once in Bilouxi and only caught Sea cats and Croakers. I saw folks catching some Flounder though.
    Actually the reason why I'm posting this is because in a past post about fishing for Catfish in the Mississippi River in Memphis you mentioned something about a TWRA thing called Take to the Bank or something that told spots that you can fish the river from the bank.

Can you tell me more about this. I've fished the boat ramp at Shelby Forrest but did'nt do so hot. Do you know any good spots in the Memphis area for fishing the river? If so please share.

I tried to IM you but was disabled.

Thanks!

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    oh BTW when I fished the beach at Bilouxi most folks were using squid for bait. Hope this helps.

15. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saltwater fish alot..... It really depends on what you are trying to catch.

Spottails (ie red fish) use cut mullet or live finger mullet fishing bottom. 3 ounce sinker and a circle hook big enough to match your cut bait. They also love blue crabs.... They will bite mud minnows from time to time on the bottom and live or fresh dead shrimp. Also if you are in a high tide situation and you have some doa shrimp or minnows to throw, just keep jig'in them across some grass.

Blues = just about anything cut.... they are kind like sharks. cut up a manhedan, spot, or whatever. Fresh shrimp. They also LOVE lizard fish.

Trout - trout love live shrimp under a cajun lightning bobber. Just pop it a few times every now and then. Incoming tide or outgoing is a must.

Flounder - flounder actually prefer trolling the bottom iow bouncing your bait slowly against the mud in the bay, but you can catch them bottom fishing. Mud minnows with about a 2-3 ounce sinker and a REGULAR HOOK. For some reason flounders seem to swallow the circle hooks.

Spots - blood worms fished bottom, with a 3 hook lead and a 3 ounce triangle weight. Or cut shrimp.

Sharks: take some of those blues you are catching and cut a big chunk out of one. 4 ounce sinker, about 3 feet of wire (or weedeater line if you're cheap), and a nice size hook. Or you can use whole blue crabs, shrimp, or just about any kinda fish cut up.
    Hold on and don't leave your rod sitting without the drag cut down and the clicker on.

I don't know... anything else.... if you are interested in a particular fish that I fish for shoot me a pm and I'll try to help you as much as I can.

PS do you have a boat?

later...
    Ron

16. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Just got back from Galveston. Action was slow as the conditions were not ideal. One fellow that has been fishing down there for many years swears by jigs in the flats wade fishing for Redfish, and even bounces these on the bottom for flounder. I got one small shark and 2 gafftops on a popping cork with cut mullet off a boat in the bay, a gafftop on the bottom with a live mullet, and 2 hardheads in the surf with cut mullet.

One way to figure out what works in a certain area is to hook up with someone from there and learn all you can...

17. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Truer words might have never been spoken :big_smile:

18. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    anybody ever tried that killer bee bait?