Bottom fishing live bait in rivers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gportsbaseball, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok i just need to know how to hook the live bait(bluegill,shiners,ect.) im fishing with, and how do i setup my line to fish the bottom with it in a river. I think i have a general idea, like put a 1 1/2 ounce slide weight 12' up my line, and 2 split shots to hold it there? would that work? i think that would leave enough room for the fish to swim freely.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, there's several ways to go. A typical rig would be a carolina rig. What ya wanna do is decide how much weight ya need to keep your bait in place on the bottom depending on the current. In light to moderate current, usually about 2 or 3 oz. will do. In heavier current, you will need to go up to 5 oz. or more. That part is just trial and error. You will be able to tell if your bait is moving around, or rolling. Those no-roll sinkers are nice. They are a flat triangle shape.

As for the rig, slide the sinker of your choice onto the main line, followed by a plastic bead (to protect your knot), then tie on a barrell swivel. Some may use a snap swivel, some don't. I personally don't. Then tie or clip on your leader and hook. About 12-15" is a good length for the leader. In some circumstances, I like to put a cigar float a few inches above my hook to suspend the bait a bit off the bottom, so I usually go a tad longer on my leader.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little. There's endless ways, and opinions. This is just a simple, common set up that works.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh yeah, in current, it's a good idea to hook your live baitfish through the eyes or nose. If not, they won't be able to stay facing into the current, and will drown because water will be flowing through their gills backwards.

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    In heavy current I hook mine through the bottom lip/jaw and in slack water under the top fin. If you hook through the back be sure to remove any scales that get stuck on your hook point. These can impede the hook set. Also I use a short leader to hook line. If you use a long one your bait can sit on bottom and hide. I like mine anywhere from 6 inches to a foot off bottom. I accomplish by using a 3-way with a long leader to weight line. Oh and one last thing be sure your hook is razor sharp. If the point will stick in your finger nail with lite pressure it's sharp, if not touch it up with a knife sharpening stone.