bottom coating?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by OkieBo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I need to address one thing before I install my decks and console. I would like to give the bottom a good coat of paint or epoxy. Plus I need to patch two gel coat holes. Does anyone recomend a good product to paint on? I would like a super smooth finish. I need less resistance. Also how can I flip this boat without tearing it up? The sides are flexible I don't know if they can handle the weight of rolling it over. Thanks

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bo, I prefer a 2 part epoxy for paint - it just can't be beat for durability. Mark J posted one time that a slightly rough surface is better if you're going for speed as it helps break the suction between the hull and the water. I've read the same thing in boating magazines. Not sure on turning it over, that question is for somebody smarter than me :eek:oooh:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    one thing that was explained to me about a "smooth hull" is that it INCREASES water resistance. the smooth hull pulls a vacuum (spelling) against the water. This is the reason you can go faster one a slight ripple in the water instead of "glass"
    I have a skiff and am going to get the Gorilla Hull installed on mine once i get the money together. I fish in the hard stumps and in some lakes where there are stump fields 2" under the water so i want something tough.
    Do a google search for "gorrilla hull" and there is a place close to Tex-LA line that does them.

4. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    WOW! $3500.00 for that? I will not be spending that much! I would rather epoxy it every 5 years and save thousands.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bo, I bought a 2 quart kit (quart of hardener, quart of paint) of Nason epoxy primer that I did my boat with for around $70. That did 2 or 3 coats on the entire boat (except the bottom) inside and out. So far it's holding up great (even below the water line) and I'm sure it would "stick" even better to roughed up glass than it does to aluminum. I got it at O'reilley's. Not sure what kind of finish you're looking for or what color, but that's an option. Not sure if you have access to a compressor but it's made to be sprayed.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good paint ain't cheap, and glass doesn't require it for protection like wood does. I would ask myself what "problem" I'm trying to solve by painting the hull, before writing the check.

MarineTex makes a two part putty that can be used to patch your gelcoat. It's tough, white, and can be sanded fair.

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    what kind of boat are you painting? I bought some 2 part epoxy from fascoepoxies dot com and put it on th underneath side of my fiberglass bass boat, and its holding up just fine. now, I use heavy rope and some come-a-longs and th metal rafters at my dads shop to get th boat off th trailor and turned sideways, u gotta finnagle it some so it doesnt buckle and th boat doesnt collapse on ya, but if I can do it, then so can u. I'm guessing th boat is fiberglass. they r kinda expensive tho, If you wanna go a lil cheaper, just go to Wal-Mart and pick up some fiberglass resin, it comes with a lil hardner, just takes a few drops to set it up, but that works quite well also, I did that to th top of th boat cuz it was cheaper than fascoepoxies. either way, u wont be disappointed.

8. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    This is the boat. The reason i wanted to coat it is i know it has been sitting awhile and i am concerned for the gel coat breaking up without something to hold it there. i know it may break up even if i coat it but i dont have new gel coat money or gorilla hull money.:sad2: If i did i would have a new boat not building this one. I do plan to repair the visible gel coat flaws before i coat it tho.

Attached Files:

9. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not sure how it would work on fiberglass, but aluminum boat guys are staring to use the JD easy-slide (or a generic at any farm supply store) it is a graphite impregnated paint used for farm implements.
    It will make your boat slide across just about anything.
    But once it dries it does need to be sanded with 300 grit or they say you will loose 2-3 mph.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bo, Dave's right, the only thing glass needs is a UV block of some kind. Just my personal opinion, but glass takes paint well and a new paint job makes all the difference in the way she'll look. If you're worried about the gel coat or its's getting rough looking you could have a sharp paint job that'll last a looooong time for less than $200 in materials and a few hours of labor if you have access to a compressor and paint gun.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i did not know what route you would be taking with this boat. I plan on using mine to guide out of when finished with this Iraq business. In my free time i fish 120+ days a yr outta the boat, and prob another 90 days from the bank. I bought a new boat last yr so the 3500 would be a good investment for me to have 2 forms of lifetime coverage on the hull, one manufactorer's and one from Gorilla Hull

12. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would just like this boat to last me 10 years at least. By then I will be able to rig out what I truly want.