Bottom bouncer

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've always wondered if bottom bouncers would be good for catfishing. Has anyone ever tried them?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would assume with 11 posts, you will still accept welcomes to the B.O.C. If so, welcome, and don't be shy. I'm kinda old so I have to ask what you mean by "bottom bouncing". You referring to the way you rig the tackle, the bait your using, of fishing shallow water? Clarify that and I bet there will be a lot of old foggies posting on the thread... some young ones too. lOL

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. I have used bottom bouncers but only for Walleye.
    I guess you could use them for drifting if a man wanted.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Mike. Tried bottom bouncers once drifting in stiff current, not heavy enough to be efective. They were 3 oz'ers, needed 4 maybe 5 oz's to stay in contact with bottom. Will give em another shot next time out.

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Please forgive my ignorance. I received two "bottom walkers" for Christmas. Are these the same as "bottom bouncers"? They hold two leaders or hooks each, and keep the bait about a foot off the bottom. I'll post results when I get a chance to use them.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have toyed with the idea but though the wire seem a little light with a 20 lb blue spinning or twisting on end, don't think it would take it. I think spinners like on walleye rig would work, because I have caught channels on them fishing for walleye on Stockon lake.
    Jim

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I want to thank everybody for welcoming me to boc and for sharing there thoughts with me on bottom bouncers. Jim on your bottom walkers, it sounds like it may be the same as bottom bouncers. You say the bottom walkers has two leaders instead of one. The bottom bouncers are set up for one, with a wieght on the bottom wire. I became familiar with the bottom bouncers from walleye fishermen up north. It sounds like the bottom bouncers may be good for channel cat from what I read on the other post. Again thanks to all of you for your input.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I used bottom bouncers extensively for the first 6 months or so that I was learning to drift fish on Truman lake. They work fine, but aren't any less prone to getting snagged than any other drift fishing sinker.

I started making my own drift fishing "slinky" sinkers a year or so ago - just string a bunch of 1/8 oz egg sinkers onto some 10 to 20 lb mono and put a snap swivel at the top. For your drifting rig, you need a barrel swivel and about a 3 ft leader to your hook. Snap the slinky sinker onto the upper section of the barrel swivel (closest to the main line) and away you go. If it gets snagged, it'll either break or pull the sinkers off and you'll get your hook back most of the time.

If you don't want to make your own sinkers, Catfish Safari tackle shop sells them pre-made http://shop.catfishsafari.com/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=54 -- also, Team Catfish makes a line of slinky type sinkers, complete with shrink-wrap tubing; I'm not sure if Catfish Safari carries them or not, though they carry most of the other Team Catfish product line.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If you don't want to make your own sinkers, Catfish Safari tackle shop sells them pre-made http://shop.catfishsafari.com/produc...4&productId=54 -- also, Team Catfish makes a line of slinky type sinkers, complete with shrink-wrap tubing; I'm not sure if Catfish Safari carries them or not, though they carry most of the other Team Catfish product line.

Yes Steve does have the Team Catfish slinky sinkers in stock, saw them in his shop Saturday night.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome MIKE, and Yes I/we do use them for lake drifting, as other have said, some are a bit to small for my liking but I have made several with my old spinner bait bender and a heavier wire (35.-45.) , I feel that the biggest thing tho is just using a good quality swivel on your set-ups and it would be fine, there are tons of swivels out there at all prices as you know, but the the heavier and better quality ones are the only way to go (learned that the hard way) I/we really like the way they work for drifting on the lakes, I can see were 5+ oz would be needed on the river.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used bottom bouncing below Ky Dam in heavy current. When useing large weights, this is a successful way to reach the sweet spots, and yet be able to keep your bait in contact with the bottom.