Boston whaler questions

Discussion in 'Boating' started by GMC FishHauler, Oct 23, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Guys, I have found an old Boston Whaler that is being sold in my home town CHEAP. The engine runs great, but the boat looks rough. It is older (70-80's) and pretty big 20-22ft. When i went to look at the boat i didnt have a tape measure. I crawled under it and looked for cracks, bad spots, and patches. There were none. There are several patches on the boat above the water line where they took off a kicker motor and the brackets. I have been advised to get the transom checked and that is my next step for this boat.
    The questions i have for you guys are
    Does anyone on here have or been around these boats?
    Is there any draw backs to them?
    It looks like it would be great in the rougher waters, is that so?
    what kind of expense am i looking at to "smooth" out the exterior of this boat?
    anything else ya'll want to add is always welcome.
    This boat is cheap enuff for me to consider just for the motor, i do not know anything about fiberglass boats so help me out if you can.

Thanks for your Input, it is always appreciated.

PS I am still looking to get a new boat (sea ark) in the future. But this one might be a good one for personal use.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    In my opinion you can't beat a Boston whaler or a Carolina skiff.
    The whaler is well made and as for smoothing the top side out there is a web site that deals in nothing but whalers. If I can ever find me one that is a project boat like that and that big I will pounce on it like a duck on a june bug. I have seen a Boston whaler cut half into and still float.
    There are some good books out there on the net that will give you detail info on repairing that hull.
    As for the transom that can be fixed without tearing the boat apart. A product calles sea cast is the answer to that problem.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim, go into Beckys Storytelling. You will find a story there called "The Boat and Da Man" that I wrote. Give me a Boston Whaler any day of the week no matter the condition. John.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Boston Whaler has a model called 'Outrage', and that is just what the resale value on Whalers is. They are supposed to be outstanding rough water boats; I've seen reports of guys using 13'-15' models very successfully on saltwater.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I owned a 19' Whaler Revenge with twin 55hp Evinrudes...ran that boat all over the Gulf of Mexico in the foulest weather immaginable.

It was the only boat I've ever been in that made me think the sea would give before it did.

Buy it.

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I have a Boston Whaler. I purchased it new in 1981. I have replaced the motor once. I love the boat. It has been in a garage all its life. It is in excellent shape. The Coast Guard used the same hull I have. I am sure a hull could be in such bad shape it would not be worth purchasing. Gel coat cost a lot to repair. Have a fiberglass repair shop look at it.

7. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i talked to mark about this earlier and he suggested, as did a retired Fiberglass man that i fish with, that i should go with an epoxy coating. It can cost between $100 and up to coat the exterior of the boat with stuff.
    I like the looks of the boat, and i also LOVE the history behind them. If i can get this one as cheap as the guy who has it sitting in his vacant lot says i can, then it is project WHALER time.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Gel coat doesnt have to be repaired.
    When fiberglass yachts start having hull blister problems (they all eventually do if they stay in the water) , they prep the damage and rough up the gel coat and coat it with epoxy. Then they spray on various types of paints. One paint widely used on boats that dont live in the water full time is Imron.
    Its a hard paint. The epoxy underneath it makes the boat waterproof.
    Prepping is alot of work. You have to do away with years of contaminated surface to get something epoxy will bond to but its something that any boat owner can do himself.

The wide ranging problems associated with gel coat over the years make it inferior to what is available today. Repairing it is backing up in my opinion, not progressing.
    Most of its problems stem from the fact that gel coat isnt waterproof. Thats where the blistering comes from.
    You can crawl up under alot of pricey bass boats and see the spider webbing.
    Skeeter used to have a big problem with that .

You cant re gelcoat a boat persay. Gelcoating is a mold process.
    You can paint it with gel coat. Its not the same and wont look as good. At this point you would be better off getting the prepped boat to a body shop and let them shoot it with a good hard paint.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mark is right on this and may I add a side note. Don't let someone talk you into using base coat clear coat because it is shiny. That type of paint is made for auto type use above water and out of water only.

For the top of a boat only I have used acrylic with a wet look hardener for the gloss coat but I use Imron when I can.

10. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the shiny part would be just an added bonus, i really want it to be water tight and protected. It would be cool if i could get the boat lookin new, but that is not my intentions

11. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    just got the true price today for the boat. it will be under 1000 with all the equipment that the guy has for it.
    Looks like project whaler is on.
    He said that the engine is due for a tune up. Anyone familiar with yamaha 2 strokes?

12. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    UPDATE on Boston Whaler.
    I is not a boston whaler, it is an aquasport 20. The last guy who had it glued Whaler decals on this boat. It looks like a whaler and has the same hull design. The engine is a 1994 90hp Yamaha. It also comes with 7.5hp yamaha kicker motor. Some kind of radio for ocean travel and all the railing . Also comes with Hummingbird FF but older one. The man is asking $1500 for the boat but i got him down to $1000. I am waiting to test drive the boat with the owner to make sure the engine runs as good as he says it does. Once again thanks for all your input guys,
    If ya'll have any experience with this other type of boat, AQUASPORT, let me know.
    I will send pics as soon as i drive the 150 miles to test drive the boat.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Aquasport isnt a bad boat. I've gone out many times offshore in a 23 footer.

That boat you are looking at sounds underpowered with a 90.
    The whaler stickers on this aquasport would make me leary.
    If I had to guess somebody , possibly the guy who owns it now did a motor swap on it. Probally had a boat he wanted more power on and just swapped them out.

Put it on the water before you buy.