Born after 1975? This is what you missed.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Dec 21, 2007.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    A lucid moment
    To everyone who survived being born BEFORE 1975.
    First of all, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while pregnant.
    They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, sugar on everything, did housework until the "water broke", and we still made it.

We slept on our tummies in baby cribs painted with lead based paint, and it was probably handed down and re-painted several times.
    If you had an older brother - you had to grow into your clothes. (unless you had a sister - then a 300 lb. Brittany Spears comes to mind.
    One of our favorite toys was wooden blocks with letters painted on with lead based paint.
    The whole house was painted with lead paint. Even George W's

We had no childproof caps on medicine bottles, childproof cabinet doors, safety seals on anything, or warning labels on household cleaners. If it tasted bad - we didn't try it a second time.
    A bandaid fixed everything.
    Our dad was our hero.
    We rode our bikes without helmets or pads,(they were not invented yet) and usually barefooted.
    We had "clamp-on" roller skates. No pads. Just the skates that clamped on to your shoe with a skate key.
    Tennis shoes were always black hightops (not called sneakers or athletic shoes)
    We rode in cars with no infant seats, booster seats, seat belts, or airbags. Riding in the back of a pick-up was always a special treat.
    We usually walked to school where we played with every kid there, sick or well, ate paste, ate lunch (usually something that I didn't recognize), and made friends.
    We drank water from a hose instead from a plastic bottle.
    On rain days we had books, and crayons (some of which we ate)
    We ran with scissors just to see if we could.
    We slept with the front and back doors wide open for a breeze in the summer.
    We camped out in the backyard.
    We shared a (glass) bottle of soda with anyone who wanted a drink, and nobody died from this.
    We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, Kool-aid with sugar, and drank whole milk.
    We were rarily overweight because we were outside playing.
    We would leave home in the morning, begrudgingly come home for lunch when our mothers called from the front porch, and go back outside and play until supper. After supper (and doing dishes) we went outsibe again until dark. Best time for hide and seek.
    We would spend hours building a go-cart out of scrap anything, a few nails, and some rope to steer it with, ride down a hill and crash into whatever was at the bottom of the hill because "brakes" were not thought about until we figured out we needed them to protect the go-cart.
    We did not have Playstations, play dates, Nintendo's, X-boxes, Wii sets, computers with video games, vcr's, 150 channels of sattelite tv (we did have rabbit ears that picked up a couple stations), surround sound, Cd's, internet, chat rooms, and as hard as it is to believe, NO CELL PHONES.
    What we did have was FRIENDS and we went outside to play with them - all day - every day.
    We climbed trees and if we fell out and broke a bone - no lawsuit.
    We played barefoot in the "creek" (aka storm sewer).
    We ate worms, mud pies, booggers, candy off the ground,
    We got BB guns when we were 9 or 10 which we used for cowboys and indians and war. No lawsuits for an eye getting shot out because it didn't happen.
    We discovered fire.
    We killed bugs with a magnifying glass.
    We had "Pea shooters" and carried extra ammo in our mouth.
    We played "I'll show you mine if you will show me yours" and were never traumatised enough to go to a shrink. (I was impressed a couple times)
    Little League had "try-outs" and not everyone made the team. Those that didn't had to deal with disappointment. Imagine that.
    If we got in trouble at school we got a beating, and when we got home - got another one. Learned that one real quick.
    We cut grass for $.50, shoveled snow for $.50, raked leaves for $.50, washed cars for $.25, and had "Kool-aid stands. If we wanted money - that is the way it was.
    We had total respect for Policemen, Teachers, School crossing guards, and ALL adults. No question - no argument. If we got in trouble with any of them, we found out real quick that our parents were on THEIR side, not ours.
    Political correctness was a polite politician.
    Christmas was Christmas - not "Happy holidays"
    If you called someone a name that was offensive to them - they pounded the s#$% out of you instead of calling a lawyer.

These generations have produced some of the best problem solvers, risk takers, scientists, inventors, Doctors, Astronauts, and just plain respectful people ever.
    The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovations and new ideas.
    We had freedom, failure, success, responsibility, broken bones, learned to deal with it ourselves without counseling, and a hell of a lot of great memories.
    I could go on for hours but it is time for my medication.

Have a merry Christmas and a productive and happy new year EVERYONE.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    AMEN TO THAT!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO!:big_smile: :big_smile:

ps; you wore your cap to the front and your pants above your waist too!

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Boy, we are a bunch of miracle people. No way we survived all that. Oh yeah the medication.

4. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Born in 1952, raised in the 60`s, man.
    Everything I ate when I was a kid had gravy or sugar on it.
    Course I am diabetic now.
    Enjoyed the post very much.

5. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    hrmm i must be getting old, was sitting in the truck yesterday and looked over at my 17yr old daughter and some kids "IN" the street and wondered what have we done?!?! this is whats going to take care of me in my Golden years"?? :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah Merry Christmas to all and you have no idea how so much of that fits the bill:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Just reading this thread brought a flood of good memories.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I like that, :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: Merry Christmas:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya I remember that and sliding down the fire house pole for kicks and borrowing hoppes #9 from the neighbor policeman because I ran out. Those were the day's.

10. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I guess I'm a survivor.

Merry Christmas.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I resemble most of those ,Born in 61

12. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Baseball cards were for putting in your bike spokes - not for collecting.

Sunscreen? never heard of it until the late 70's.

We learned to do math with a real pencil.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :crazy: Well I thought I did this once already :confused2: must be all the lead paint from my youth :tounge_out: AMEN!! Brother!!

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Great post! I was born February 1976, but I experienced almost all of these and I turned out just fine! :crazy::wink::smile2:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That was a great read Russell. Isnt it the truth?

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had a Drivers L. by 1975 and driving a motorcycle and a 68 camaro

I remember everything you posted and how true it was. Good post. I miss those days. Also didnt have Police with dogs walking the halls at school.
    And a ton of candy machines with half the kids taking ADHD pills.:roll_eyes:

So what happen to us? , technology , which can be a good thing when used right but..................:wink:

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You were considered very lucky when your weekly allowance went from a dime to 15 cents that would buy a bag candy.
    Guess that was the 60's..

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    dang-it russ, I missed the cut by 1 year..................LMAO

I remember alot of that stuff, Heck I have a scar for life from riding a go-cart
    me and my brother made. That stop sign wouldn't get out of the way

LMAO.........:009:merry christmas buddy & happy new year:009:

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I cant believe you forgot that we fished all summer long!!! LOL:wink:

20. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Boy thats the truth! Those were good times.
    Bill