Booze And Fishing Dont Mix

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by hear_kitty, Aug 7, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Fifth Life Claimed On The Saginaw Bay In 2006

Aug 7, 2006 12:12 PM EDT

(TV5) -- Investigators continue to search for answers in a tragic weekend drowning on Saginaw bay. One man died after going swimming just a few miles from a popular marina.

Forty-five year old Edward L. Suisse of Lainsberg was with a fishing companion in this boat August 5th when the two decided to go swimming. The 23-year-old man made it back to the boat Suisse did not.

Rescuers with the U.S. Coast Guard and Tuscola County Sheriff's Department were called into action.

Divers recovered the body in the morning on August 6th west of Fish Point some five miles off shore. An autopsy will be conducted.

The sheriff's department says alcohol may have been a factor. Suisse's death marks the 5th drowning in the Saginaw Bay this year.

What a waste of life!

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Very sad to hear, getting drunk and being on the water definatly do not go hand in hand.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yes boats drinking and swimming BAD IDEA. My fathers best friend died in round valley reservoir when he was 19 decided he was going to jump off the boat at night with all of his clothes and boots on booze and boats dont mix

4. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Amen, no alcohol allowed in my boat.

5. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I must say though, if you are responsible, there is nothing wrong with having a few beers while fishing. Especially from shore. It is the dumb, idiotic drunks that decide it's time to go swimming when they are too hammered to walk, let alone swim that give drinking and fishing a bad name to some people.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    agree a 100% alcohol should not be allowed on the water aint much worse than a drunkin sailor

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Man!If you believe that,you must never have seen a drunk Marine.Ex sailer.Peewees opinion.Now serious.A DRUNK should not be allowed anywhere in public.Why should the rest of the world have to put up with them?Every adult knows whether they can or cannot handle their drinking.The self centered selfish ones just don;t care about anyone else when it comes right down to it.Yes!This applies to me when I did it.I should have been thinking of others.peewee-williams

8. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    no alcohol aloud on my boat either.

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    PEEWEE love the responce good man

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Amen to that J-man.

11. Umba

Umba New Member

State:
    WI
    Fortunately this will never happen. Anti gun folks try to use the same train of thought when they want to get rid of all guns because of the actions of a few. Just my opinion .
    Umba

12. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Its sad that some people don't know when to stop. I don't have a problem if someone has a few beers while fishing but don't go and get smashed. If you are operating a boat get yourself some Odouls don't drink alcohal while operating a boat, It is just not worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love having a couple beers while fishing but I never have more than 3 and I always give myself plenty of time before I drive home. If I feel like getting drunk I'll wait till I get home to do it.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I Lost the best hunting and fish buddy I have ever had when he fell out his boat on the pearl river in ms it took several wks before his body was found it was in feb I still think of Ralph its been about 20 yrs

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Life is to precise to lose someone to this

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree and don't drink anymore. I was fishing one night with a bunch of us getting drunk, when I woke up, I was in my GI mummy bag with it zipped all the way up and only my head was out of the water, I had rolled off the bank asleep and drunk, about froze to death that night after getting out of the bag and the water. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since life is too precious and since it's also short why do people want to get all wasted on dope and alcholol? As you can tell I'm not into that stuff never have been in fact I was raised not to touch it,and I'm so thankful that I had deeply God Fearing parents that raised me that way. This is just my opinion.pk powell:smile2:

17. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Here we go, all the tea totalers are comin out of the wood work. Now I agree that excessive drinking out on a boat is not smart but i swear some of you all remind me of the PETA folks and eatin animals. You ever stop and think of all the trips and fishing events where alcohol is allowed and consumed with vigor and there are no tragic accidents, no idiots jumping to their death in Lake Michicgan? Heck Ive been doin it for years and about the worst thing that has happened to me was fallin into the lake (at shoreline) or leavin my lantern behind. Shoot, goin fishin is about one of the last refuges us ol drunks got....lol I am just a humble fisherman from the good ol terra firma, just a lawn chair guy with a solid chunk of earth below my feet and I do not see what the big deal is.....

egg

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just my opinion here:

Drinking and fishing, not too much wrong with it. Getting DRUNK and fishing, then you got a problem.

Drinking and boating: same as drinking and driving. Passengers may have a few, but refer to the previous statement.

Drinking in moderation shouldn't be a problem (however, avoid the drinking and driving or boating). When taken to far, drinking can be a problem.

Many of you will think this is a little strange coming from someone that averages one drink a month.

19. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How about a few "sobering" quotes from a newspaper article today about a boating death that occurred this weekend at Lake of the Ozarks...

"Alcohol consumption, crowded waters and the perils of night boating appear to be the likely causes for the tragedy, according to an initial investigation."

"As has been the case with more than three dozen fatalities on the lake in recent years..."

"Humphrey said the gravity of the drinking problem was apparent every time officers set up a checkpoint. Just last week, nearly one in six boat drivers pulled over near the site of the accident was cited for drunken boating."

20. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I no longer drink while im fishing because the last time I got smashed while I was fishing which was many years ago I fell into the Kern River which has many dangerous whirlpools almost didnt get out!!!