Books on CD

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mark J, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Anybody else listen to CD books?
    My commute to work is 2 hours a day. The man I work with also has a 2 hour commute or a little more.
    Couple of weeks ago he handed me a CD book when I was getting in my car.
    Cool!
    I read alot. A whole lot so I thought this would be great for commuting.

Popped a CD in and went to listening. I was lost within 3 minutes and had to start over. In 15 minutes I found myself thinking about something else entirely and figured out I missed almost a whole chapter.:smile2:

I'm used to reading and it takes some getting used to having someone read for you.
    I'm used to it now and am on my second book. W.E.B. Griffins "The saboteurs"
    I'm starting to love listening to books. This one I'm on now has some sound effects and even the reader has a voice for all the characters with dialects complete with Italian, French, and German broken English:smile2:
    Give it a try you might like it.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    duh if im to dumb to read aint i gonna be to dumb to listen to some one else read lol lmao ..no boss never thought about that

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I do use cd books on long trips just to have something besides loop music. lately i have been reading books online. i can down load them to my laptop and read them at my convince.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My dad was blind and he got free cassettes from the gov. and a free player. It was a real life saver for him. Keep in mind that some people who read for the CD are not as good as others. If you find a reader you like keep his/her name in mind when you get another audio book.
    The address below should be the address for free talking books. http://www.loc.gov/nls/
    Bill

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bill,

Great resource.

Funny what is all out there that many dont know about.

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Wendell and I are both addicted to Audio books! The reader really does make a difference. Every now and then we come across a book that sounded like it would really be great only to find we couldn't stand listening to the reader. Thankfully that is a rarity though.

Mark, email me if you want some additional books. We have several that have already made the circuit we swap books with.

7. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I love books on CD. I have a rather long commute myself and I listen to them all the time. They are a lot better than talk radio which gets my blood pressure up. The local library has a large selection of book on CD so you don't have to buy they. Yep, I think they are great.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    yes, i do listen to cd books. my wife is a manager at barne's and noble. she is a readaholic anyway. i used to read constantly but i have lost the attention span for it, in favor of living things out for myself.

for the last few years, i cant drive to the grocery store with Amy without listening to a book. after awhile, i get hooked on the plot, and the next thing ya know WHAMMO!"

i particularly like the louise la'mour books on cd. i have read most of his books before, so it is allways interesting to hear someone else' interpretation of the punctuation.

the next book i am planning on listening to (if i can find it!) is "the sea wolf". one of my all time fav. books.

9. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I've never listened to a book on CD but recently bought a "Kindle" on Amazon.com that Oprah endorsed. I've read 5 books in less than 2 weeks, including 2 from Stephen King and a bestseller. I enjoy the fact that I can upload mp3's to it and listen to music while I read without disturbing Donna.