Booked my trip

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by jconna, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Things have been a little slow on here the last couple weeks so I figured I'd give an update and ask a few last questions. I called Captain Hugh to set up a trip with him on April 12 but he was scheduled, so he hooked me up with another member of his team. Don't seem to recall his name? Hopefully I will have an avatar when I come back home though
    :wink:

He gratiously agreed to supply us with bait for the rest of our days down there. We will be on our own in a pontoon boat for the remaining days (13th through the 15th) and here's what I have lined up so far. Anyone see anything that I may be missing gear wise?

1) 2 Abu Garcia Record HC on 7' medium heavy rods
    2) 65 lb Power Pro Braided line
    3) 10 Joe Bucher 7 strand 90 lb leaders
    Was trying to make my own 100 lb mono leaders but don't trust them yet. They either slip on me or break at the crimp. Not sure if I'll get it right before I come down or not
    4) swivels
    5) Sinkers....10 of each. No roll 6 oz and 8 oz. River sinkers 6 oz and 8 oz
    6) Decent net
    7) Hooks.....Couple packs of each. Gamatsu Circle hook 7 - 10

In decent shape for 4 days of fishing? Can't WAIT!!

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck on your trip hope ya catch a bunh

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Looks good! Enjoy your trip.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    sounds good, now put it to work & catch a hawg

5. 60lbclub

60lbclub New Member

State:
    virginia
    the only thing missing is the other 8 rods.......

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to fish 4 and now have gone to 6 or 8 depending on how hard I feel like working that day.

8. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    6 rods should be a good starting point. That way U can fan them out 180 deg. off the back of the boat....:cool2:

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Ditto on having more rods.

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Jeff I use the palomar knot on both sides of the swivel and snell the hook. 80 lb test will work well for the leader.

And swivels can be a pain to find many are rated over a 100 lbs but still have a small eye, which makes it a little harder working with 80 lb test line.....I like the Rasco Barrel Swivels...350 lb test.....got mine at Bass Pro.

# 38-482-567-00--- size 4/0 --- $11.99 --- 24 per pack

Link below:
    Rosco® Barrel Swivels

Jerry

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I know you are referring about terminal tackle but I cant stress how important it is to make sure you have your digital camera, digital scales and many extra batteries for both.

-Jim-

I just wanna make sure we get to see them hog's pics your gonna catch ; )

12. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Now Jerry. Are you sure 350 LB swivels are big enough? You never know when one of those Mekong, European Cats or a Mburucaju cat from Paraguay will show up in the James to visit their relatives:smile2:.

Saludos desde Uruguay. Voy a volver dentro una semana y media. Ojala el pique esta bien cuando llego.

My brothers have been tearing them up downtown. They have caught Stripes up to 20 and numerous cats almost every outing up to 39 pounds. Both Blues and Flatties. Both live at least an hour away so they have been staying at my house while I'm away. We never caught big cats down town before. Always down stream. This has been a great Spring. Key is you have to stay until dusk. Here's a 32 pounder Bobby caught yesterday

Attached Files:

13. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Now Kenneth are you making fun of me....well I'll laugh along....the thing with swivels....many are rated @ a high lb test but have a very small eye...then when tying a knot such as the palomar knot that you have doubled the line through the eye ...well it just makes it a little eaiser to cinch the knot...with a larger eye.....especially using 80 or 100 lb test line for the leader.

So Kenneth you are thinking downtown is the place to be right now...how about Jordan Point and below???

Forgot..... when will you be back??

Been trying to find out the results of the BCQ yesterday.....not confirmed but one post on another board had Eberwein with a 67 lber ....not sure if they didn't get it mixed up with the Pre-Derby. The $100 winner of the Big Cat Quest Pre-Derby for the week of Saturday, March 15 through Friday, March 21 is Chris Eberwein of Beaverdam, Virginia. The winning fish weighed 65.01 pounds. He also hauled in a 57.87 pounder.

Jerry

14. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I was goshing you Jerry. One thing about overkill on swivels, you never will have a failure there. I have broken off fish but never a swivel failure. I'm so paranoid, I use stainless ball bearing swivels that cost about $3 apiece. I cry when I loose a rig in the rocks at Presquille Cut through.

I return in 9 days. then leave again on April 27th until end of June.

15. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Sorry, I am having Internet issues at home so had to wait till I can back to work to check the board. More rods huh? lol I would agree but there is going to be four of us, so unfortunately, I need to share casting space. haha I was primarily talking terminal, but you should see the list we have to bring down. I think we're going to fill half the 25' pontoon up with just about everything but a washer and dryer to do our clothes, but cameras are definitely there : ). No digital scales though, maybe I'll need to add that? And good point on the swivels, I havn't actually tried to tie on on yet and will look at that this evening. Luckily, I have a Bass Pro about ten minutes away if I need some last minute thing.

I am having one last minute issue though. I though that I had seen them, but went to pick up some river and no roll sinkers at Bass Pro this weekend, and they don't have anything over 3 oz. Now I'm scrambling to find somewhere on the Internet and will need two day shipping. So much for being completely organized huh? Is the recommendation still 6 and 8 oz?

16. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Since you are coming down Interstate 95 I assume. Get all the no roll sinkers you want in 8, 10, and larger from GreenTop Sporting goods. Take the Gander Mountain exit, (can't remember the road name. It is the first exit south past Lewistown Road exit. At Lewistown they are building a Bass Pro. These are exits that are south of highway 54 exit for ashland VA. Anyway. Take the Gander mountain exit and turn right at the top of the exit head west and the second stoplight is Route 1. Turn left on Route 1. Go about 500 yards and Green Top is on the right. Hold on to your wallet though. You will fall in love with the store. Makes Bass Pro and Gander Mountain look like a sick dog that sells yuppie clothes. Have fun.

17. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Fantastic!!! Thanks alot Kenneth! That's only a quick trip around the beltway from where I'm stayin in Hopewell. I'll skip the 2 day orders (which I was having trouble locating anyway), and go shopping down there. We'll be pulling a 25' pontoon with us so we'll probably drop it off at the motel, wait for rush hour traffic to die out, and then head back up across the beltway to do some shopping. Just checked out they're site and it looks like they're open till 9:00. Fantastic information and a big thanks. If I could have thanked you 10 times, I would have. You saved me alot of stress!

Jeff