Book Review: "Kayak Fishing: The Ultimate Guide"

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I awaited the release of Kayak Fishing: The Ultimate Guide with great anticipation. In fact, I ordered it before it was released at a pre-publication price. The title and book cover sold me. Sadly, I read the book in about thirty minutes, and it now collects dust on the shelf. You may not feel this way, however, so here is an objective review of a new book that may have already caught you eye, too!

From the product description on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Fishing-Ultimate-Scott-Null/dp/1896980287:

Kayak fishing is one of the fastest growing sports in North America, thanks to the kayak's ease of use and the access it offers anglers to new and otherwise inaccessible waters - and The Ultimate Guide to Kayak Fishing is the most comprehensive book on the sport. Captain Scott Null and Joel McBride draw on their vast experience in both kayaking and fishing to give the new kayak angler a solid foundation of skills and concepts that will allow a safe and comfortable entry into the sport. Scott and Joel also offer a wealth of tips and tricks that will help more experienced anglers get the most out of their time spent on the water.

YOU'LL LEARN about:
    • All the necessary equipment
    • The fundamentals of kayak fishing
    • The essential strokes and paddling techniques
    • Bait and lure fishing from a kayak
    • Fly fishing from a kayak
    • Fighting and landing fish from a kayak
    • Freshwater kayak fishing
    • Saltwater kayak fishing
    • Kayak fishing safety
    "Read this book carefully and pay attention to what Scott and Joel have to say. You can become an expert kayak fisherman in a short time." - Everett Johnson, Editor, Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine

I posted the following review of this book under the name Amazon Jams, giving the book a three-star rating:

Outstanding Coffee Table Book

If you like beautiful pictures of a couple of guys kayak fishing, then this is the book for you.

I'm not sure what I was looking for now that I think about it...the holy grail of kayak fishing maybe? Whatever the case, there is little information in this book that you cannot find easily on the Internet. In fact, I was saddened by the realization that I could have written this book based on the information that I already knew, and I'm a newbie to the sport!

Most disappointing is the fact that the actual kayak fishing information is so far back in the book that there are precious few pages left to read. Much of the book is dedicated to the basics: kayak equipment, paddling techniques, etc. I would prefer to read much more on fishing techniques for kayakers.

This is truly a beautiful book, and nicely written in an article-by-article style. For the person who wants pertinent kayaking information summarized in one place, buy this book. For those well established in the sport, with safety gear in place and paddling techniques well in hand, there is probably little to learn from this book.

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Thanks for the heads up. I would probably have added it to my already extensive collection of useless kayak books.

3. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Thanks for the heads up!

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I actually read your review on amazon and it kept me from buying the book. I did however read it for free by getting it from my local library. I totally agree with your review, not much usefull info for experienced people, good info for newbies interested in kayaking. Thanks for keeping me from spending the money.