Book reading

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kutter, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Many folks have posted recommending bringing a book to read while sitting in the stand for long periods. Sounded like a good idea to me. After hearing good reviews from other hunters, I ordered "Finding Wounded Deer" by John Trout. It seemed like an appropriate book for such and I can always learn more about trailing a wounded deer. Well, It came in the mail the other day, so I opened it up to glance through. Big mistake! Before the day was over, I had read the book cover to cover. Now I got to find something else to read in the stand.
    I did learn a few things I had never considered before and highly recommend it to anyone who hunts large game.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I couldn't read in the woods. There have been too many times when deer just slipped up on me while I was looking for them that I'd be afraid they would walk by while I was reading.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It takes disipline but I read about one page a minute, glance around and read another page, glance around, ecetera. I don't read first two hours of light and the last two hours of light. I also hunt from big salt treated tree stands similar in size to a Motel Six room that has been wrapped in black plastic erosion control fencing and then brushed with cedar or white pine. If the stand is big and comfortable, I can stay all day as long as I have a book and groceries.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Note to self. Turn off cell phone. Take book to fumble and drop from stand instead. Don't forget to drizzle book with estrus doe scent.
    :smile2:

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im a book reader too. Some of the biggest bucks Ive seen were while reading. Read a sentence, scan the woods. I usually start when I feel like leaving, helps to stay on stand longer. Also I like to listen to the woods, the leaves are so thick you can usually hear em before you see em.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    My biggest problem with the book reading is I can't read for 5 mins and I'm asleep.Then I know I wouldn't get any deer to come around.Too much ZZZZZZZZ.Well maybe they would just to see what all the noise is . All kidding aside taking abook is a good idea.or one of those hand held games( with sound off).All you MO. hunters GOODLUCK THIS WEEKEND

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I read from time to time while in the woods also. I'll read a page or two before looking up and watching for any movement in the woods. I also think it helps limit your own movement in the stand. I have though gotten a little engrosed into a book and read a little too much one day. I had read a dozen or so pages and felt a presense. I looked up to see a dozen deer all right under my stand. They seemed to be enjoying my reading also. He can't stick us with a arrow with that book in his hands.:big_smile:

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    when im hunting from a tree stand thats what im doing , hunting . i have to stay focused or il be asleep :lol: from a ground blind i have been busy whitlin on a stick and had deer all around me before i knew it , even had one stick her head in the blind and smell my head before , i raised my eyes and dang near crap'd myself felt my hair part from her breath . i think id like to have one of them game ears so i could hear them comin

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Three of the biggest deer I've taken were split second shots. I hunt very thick areas most of the time. I don't have the luxury of watching them walk around big open fields or open hardwoods during daylight hours, like on the videos. I've never seen a buck chasing Does back and forth in a picked corn field like on Buckmasters. Once I get in the woods, it's all business until it's time to leave. The two deer I got this year with the bow, (one from the ground, one from a tree) were in the rain and I never heard them coming. I tend to hunt deer as if they were hunting me, which they are. I hunt as if I were hunting an armed enemy and if they see me first, I lose. If they get by me without me seeing them, my squad loses. It may sound silly but it has made me a much better hunter and has taught me a lot about things like stand placement, camo and concealment, and travel routes. I have plenty of time to read when I get home.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I bring my cellphone and send text messages to all my buddies who are hunting, or who are watching a game that I want to keep up with. That helps to keep me out in the woods longer. I usually don't have a hard time staying in stand, as long as I'm comfortable.... but I do get a kick out of hearing how the deer are moving where all my buddies are hunting.