Boog's surgery update

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by Boogan1, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    First of all I want to say thank you to everyone who wished me luck, I think it sure paid off so many were praying for me because I almost didn't make it. After surgery I was awake in the recovery room. I was sitting up, talking to the nurse and she was feeding me ice chips. She asked if I had any pain and I said I had some. She gave me a small injection of morphine into my IV to ease the pain. About 5 seconds later my tongue felt funny and as I opened my mouth to tell her something was wrong it was like someone kicked me in the stomach. My throat immediately closed up, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't yell out, I finally kicked the bed and got her attention just as my eyes rolled back in my head. She hit the panic button and they grabbed me and shoved a tube down my throat and started bagging me. I could only see black, but could hear everything they were saying. I was fighting with all I had to try to get a breath. I had no muscular control, the nurse holding my hand was telling me to squeeze her fingers but I couldn't. They put in another IV and I heard them give me benadryl. About a minute later I felt the first breath. I fought and fought trying to breathe, they were getting me some air with the bag. Finally I felt the swelling in my throat going down and I could finally squeeze her fingers and got my eyes open. I am guessing the whole thing lasted about two minutes. I guess we figured out I am allergic to morphine!!! So after that it was no longer an outpatient surgery and I had to be wired up to monitors all nite. I finally got home just about an hour ago. That is the most scared I have ever been in my life. Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers, I needed every one of them! Boog

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Boog,

I'm sure glad to hear you are ok, and finally home. That's pretty scary how close you came with the morphine reaction.

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    So glad to hear that you are doing good now inspite of that scare brother.
    I now how scary that can be, been there, done that too. It was a scary moment for me as well when that happened to me.
    Welcome back brother..:smile2:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Man that sounded scary for sure. Next time tell them you dont feel any pain. LMAO Glad ya made it brother and heal up. Them kitties are calling your name. Make sure you get a medcial card or something so they know next time.

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Boog, I'm so glad you got home safe and sound. That sure did sound scary! Guess you had a few guardian angels keeping an eye out.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    DAM Glen! Welcome back!

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    still gonna keep you in our prayers

8. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Get better big guy and stay away from that morphine!:tounge_out:

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Wow that must have been scary! Glad your OK brother!

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Sorry you had to go through that, but at least now you know about the allergy. Hope the rest of your recovery goes better! Take it easy on yourself.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Welcome home Boog...that sure was a close call...glad to hear your doing well now!