Bonus catch on the GMR today

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bonus catch on the GMR today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got out for a little catting this afternoon, it was spitting rain, windy and warm, a perfect time to get out on the river, Hit one of Dinkbusters holes called the "Jungle" and was throwing cut shad ( frozen) in small pieces (quarter to half dollar size) on a 3 way and a 6/0 Gama circle.
    First hit was the best suprise of the day, week, month, maybe even winter! a 4 lb flattie, whoo hooo :big_smile:
    then took 3 more channels and then the last fish ( making 5 for the 2 hrs) was another nice suprise, a real nice 7 lb 3 oz channel. All in all a great time to be out except for the 20 minute walk out in the pouring rain.. should have left after the big guy was landed. :eek:oooh:

I hope you enjoy the pics!
    Flattie, just over 4 lbs

[​IMG]

and another shot, very pretty
    [​IMG]

smaller channel (2 lbs)

[​IMG]

Medium channel (3 lbs)

[​IMG]

and the 7 lb 3 oz channel, compare the size to the pic above ( same rock they are resting on)
    [​IMG]

Enjoy,
    Salmonid

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    congrats sounds like you had a good day besides the rain, better than mine cuz it was dark when i got to work and dark again when i left,:confused2:, oh well im trying to talk the neighbor into going out back tonight, hopefully catch a few since the ice is gone again for now

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on the winter flat and the nice channel. Pretty nice day of fishing you had there for January.

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice fish mark good job the big channel looked good rick

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Mark,
    Congrats on your good day of fishing. rspd507

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    nice fish, man that flathead pic is giving me spring fever bad!:roll_eyes:

7. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Great catches and glad you got out. I have been fishing Spring Lake for stocked rainbow trout to tide me over until better weather. Itching for a catfish or two. My buddy got one out of Spring Lake about a month ago on a minnow fishing for trout in the first stocking. I am loading up the freezer with triout for cut bait early in the season the GMR.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cool Mark! A January flathead in Ohio, those are rare!

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Awesome man i can't wait till it warms up and the flats start biting good again. good looking fish.

10. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    This less than freezing weather makes me want to get out fishing. Good for you!

11. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    hmmmmm?that throws a wrench in the theory that some of my friends have that flatties are completely inactive in the winter.thats great.id love to know all the details on how,where,when you caught it.good catch.i think its proof that there is still much to be learned about winter flatheads(especially up north where there are harsh winters and dormant periods).the trail is still being paved!!!!!!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    been telling this tale for a long time now...maybe someone believes me!!!??:wink::smile2: rollo

13. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    call me a believer.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice catch,should be some good eats.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think the biggest problem is, most don't try to target them in the cold water months... the ones i catch, i can honestly say...im the only guy out there in the winter trying to get them...yes, i change tactics.. but, i always get a laugh from those that discredit catching flats in the soo called "off season" ....rollo:smile2:

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey man I believe it we have caught a couple this winter..They gotta eat right??:big_smile:

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tbull, i wish you guys lived closer, besides of a few people, i have a hard time talking anyone into going with me during the winter.. its always too cold, or its gonna rain, wish i could...but...lol.. but, when rollo is busting them in the warm months, the phone is ringing off the wall!!! kinda like when you catch a few bluegills to eat...no one is around to help you filet them, but they sure would like to have a bag!!! LMAO!!!:smile2::wink: rollo

18. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree with the fact that none of us are actually targetting them this time of year and I also checked the water temps on a local USGS gauge and it was about 48 degrees when I caught that fish, ( warm rains had warmed the entire river) so in reality that temp is is at the Flattie activity point, maybe low, but still active to some degree, My point was /is that the fish wasnt caught in 38 degree water but now we, ( Dink, Mellon and myself) think this may be a wintering hole and we now plan to spend a little more time there actually fishing for flats this winter, once the water goes back down, the rain I left from fishing in the other day in now has the river up 7.5 feet and it just now crested. Wont be any fishing this weekend, :angry: Water temps are now steadily falling at 47 dgrees but actually peaked around 51 degrees yesterday. I might add that in the 5 days prior to me catching the fish, water temps were rising steadily for 5 days straight, up from 34 degrees all the way up to 51, that will certainly put the fish on a feeding mission.

Salmonid

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you caught one there, i would definetely target that area again. move through the hole numerous times covering small sections.. my fav. temp. is around 55-57 degree range. they will take livebaits quite frequently then. seems like when temps drop into low 50's or below..i pick up a stray one here or there, usually on small cutbait like chunks of shad, or just the head.. the places i fish, i have to say...i really have to fish around the entire hole somedays to even get one to pick up the bait, sometimes so lightly they don't move fast or far with it...truely finicky... let me know how you do. i would like to see you guys find a couple of wintering holes on the big river esp. i think you could get some really big quality fish there. the last thing i want to say is the holes i fish on the muskingum, have been consistent wintering holes year after year.. might wanna keep it to yourself if you do find them:wink: goodluck mark, and the rest of you...rollo

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

LMAO!!! Sounds like how it is here....Summer and warm months people are all ready to go. Mention going now and they think you're crazy! I'll fish anytime anywhere but a lightning storm!!!:crazy::wink::smile2:
    Most of the time its by myself......:roll_eyes::smile2:

BTW,
    Nice pics of some nice cats! Congrats!!!:cool2::big_smile: