Bonneau Beach Public Landing - Information

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 4JS, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am thinking about using the Bonneau Beach Public landing to launch from to go to Short Stay.
    How are the water conditions (depth, stumps, etc) from the landing around to Short Stay?
    Plannning on trolling for stripers - late afternoon / early night - and wanted to make sure I could run it easily in the dark without any worries.

How far of a ride is it?

Any info would be appreciated.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, there is plenty of open water between BB & SS. You should have no problem in that regard. Depending on the size of your boat, the only real concern might be rough water caused by northern or western winds under some conditions.

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Never put in at either landing but have fished in the area many times. Like Tommy said, unless you have a BIG BOAT watch out for windy conditions cause thats a long haul if it gets ruff.:big_smile:

4. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the information.
    I have a 196 Key West Bay Reef.
    It should be all right except for the roughest conditions.

How far is it from BB to SS?

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    According to the map, it looks like about 5 to 5 1/2 miles via water between the two spots. You should be ok in the Key West.

BB in SC

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Well, you got a boat that won't sink. The boat in my avatar was a 20ft Blue Water Key West, I lost it at Marker 22:smile2: well it flipped, went down and came back up. I swam away to wait to see what was going to happen, i figured the huge 225 Merc. was going to pull it under, it did but pop'ed right back up like a huge cork. Like to never got it turned back over. They are good boats, i just shouldn't had been out there:big_smile:

7. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    I put in there and run to Short Stay all of the time. I only run at 14mph and it takes me about 20 minutes to get there on calm water. Good luck and let us know if they are there. I am getting the itch and it is time to scratch.:smile2:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I saw this test http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/mfgplant at Marshall's, but the best display was the 1720 like mine, cut in half, motor and all, with Hutch walking around inside the still level boat. He also sent me a free replacement cushion seat for my boat, after I mentioned that it had been perforated by too-long-screws in the hinge. Great folks!

9. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    How were the conditions when you flipped your boat?
    What caused it to flip?

Well, we went down last night (~5:30 - 9:30) and trolled for stripers.
    Put 5 in the boat. All short fish (20" - 25").
    But had a good trip with a good friend.

I am ready for colder weather and the blues to turn on:wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The blues ain't doin' bad right now. I think 6671#s of mostly blues were weighed in at the last Hills Tourney a couple of weeks back. It's all in locating them. Yes, that was over THREE TONS of fish in a two day 51 boat tourney. That's an AVERAGE of over 130# per boat.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  11. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's a lot of fish!

I'm still kinda new to catfishing.
    What's the technique for this time of the year?
    Bait?
    Drifting or Anchored?
    Deep water or shallow?

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Drifting ledges running into deep water would be preferred right now, using mullet, shad, bream, perch, or any other cut bait. It's weird though, some days they prefer one bait over the other, so have a variety on hand.
    BTW: You were all over 'em in your run from Bonneau to Short Stay. :wink:
    Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  13. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the tips.