Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Squeezer
22,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whole life (up to this point ~ I'm not dead yet) I have heard the phrase BONE DRY or DRY AS A BONE when describing something that is not wet. IE gas tank, bilge, basement, bank account etc..

Now, having a semi-lucid moment, many decades ago while in high school (yes Missouri does have them even back then) in health class some of us learned that inside our bones is marrow where our body makes blood. Ideally Blood is not dry so - - - what's up with "Bone dry". Wouldn't "Big toenail dry" or "crusty heel dry" or even "flaky skin dry" be a little better at describing something that does not contain moisture?

Maybe the phrase "Dry as a dead sun bleached bone" got shortened - maybe - or we are just weird.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,360 Posts
According to the great and powerful Google:

The phrase “bone dry” originated from a phrase, as stated by Robert Forby in his book, The Vocabulary of East Anglia, published in 1830. Here it is defined as an adjective that means “perfectly dry; as dry as a bone long bleached in the weather.”

·
Old Squeezer
22,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's trying to think of other things, other than BR, and what she will do next, IJS
BR aka Big Red does not require "thinking".
Ignoring.
Obeying.
Avoiding.
Fearing.
Daydreaming about long haul trucking.
Frequent naps.
But I don't think "thinking" is is required thinking - I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts