Bomber or starcraft

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by pamlee101, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    ok, for right now we are between

'77 bomber 16ft, 6ft beam fiberglass tri-hull
    and
    '80 starcraft 16ft, 4 1/2ft beam aluminum v hull

any pros.... cons.... how stable would the v hull be....

they are asking $1500 for bomber but should be able to get for $1200 according to the man's son. $1300 for starcraft and don't think they would come down any.

we have seen pics of the starcraft but it is 2 hours away and we will probably go see it tomorrow unless ya'll tell us it will not be REAL stable to fish from.

now is the time for all you fishermen/boaters to open up and put in your .25 worth.... use to be .02, but i am allowing for inflation. :wink:

thank you all in advance,
    Lee and pam

2. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    :tounge_out: not sure what the model would be on this.

Attached Files:

3. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Personally I would go with the starcraft, that aluminum boat will be worth more down the road and a lot easier to sell when and if you decide to upgrade.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I personally like aluminum boats better, and i am looking for one right now. I actually have a bomber that is for sale now also. Its a 1979. Its a good boat, it runs like a top, but i just prefer the deep V's. I at least was able to set my boat up for river fishing, so it suits me till i get a new one. Get what suits you and the type of fishing you are going to be doing.

5. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    our main concern with that is the stability. we like to be ON the water, not IN it. with the v hull and narrower beam would it be stable enough for the 2 of us to be up and around fishing and *hopefully* landing some big ones?

Riverking, how much are you asking and how far are you from carrollton ky? :wink: just in case we decide to go bomber we might like to see yours. it's not cracked anywhere is it?

thanks, pam

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    starcraft is the way to go.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My brother in law has a 16ft starcraft from 1965. I'm over 350#'s and he may weigh 175 when soaking wet. We have no prolem getting up and moving around in his. Unless we both try and lean over the side to check the trotline. Then I get real nervous about how close the rail is to the water. But that is when we are leaning over the side. Otherwise, it is great.

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Pam & Lee
    I love my starcraft one of the best fishing boat I have owned. Just sold my 16ft fiberglass tri-hull. It was a great family & fishing boat especially with the walk-through design fishing from the front was great. It was a very stable boat could sit on the side and would go over very little. However had some things I didn't like, much heaver boat, thus harder to trailer, load & unload, requires a larger motor so used more fuel, much harder to maneuver, and most of all a very rough, slow ride in waves. It would pound you to death against high waves. They are much more subject to damage especially if you fish shallow and in sandy, rocky bottoms, watch that keel, I found out the hard way. Just my opinion. Luck

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    starcraft here also. i think that boat is a mid 70s model boat and if the motor is good that is a deal. i had a 14ft startcraft with a 25 hp that i sold for 1800.00 back in 2003 to the first person that saw it. too many places for a old fiberglass boat to rot out and not be seen. in rough water that bomder will wet you but that starcraft is light weight and will ride the waves.:smile2: there is always a reason someone will or will not come down on the price. i like it! good luck to ya.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have owned both types and the star craft wins out hands down. For good service and stability on the water rough or calm the star craft is hard to beat.

11. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    big thank yous to everyone. about to do a new post on what we ended up with.

thanks again,
    Lee & pam