Boilies for carp fishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Addicted2Cats, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I was reading In-Fisherman the other day and came across an article about using boilies for carp bait. Do any of you guys have experiance using these baits? Also what recepies work best? I think these carp I am going for may be pressered. One more thing, can you use mono line for hair rigs? :0a36:

2. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I would stay away from boilies unless you have a lot of confidence in them. I have yet to catch a carp on a boilie and fish some pretty heavily pressured water......but...they do catch fish. It is really your call. As far as using mono for hair rigs, you probably could, but braid gives it more of the natural feel. I use 30LB test PowerPro for all my hair rigs. I think mono (even smaller diameter) would be too rigid. Just my two cents though... :) :)

3. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Scooter, thanks for the info! :) What kind of bait/rig do you think would pull in some possibly finicky fish?

4. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I read that article. Boilies are not an instant recognized bait for N. American carp and IMHO are over rated. The fish I've gotten on them have been used on hair rigs sanwhiched between feed corn and iother things. Some people and places do good on them, especially smaller water, ponds and smaller lakes where the carp can be "on them" for a longer time and recognize them as food.

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I use boiles and pop-ups (floating type boiles). I make my own pop-ups and boiles. You should have some that are small (3/8") to chum with and some that are larger (5/8") for your hair rig. They both work well. I really prefer to use corn though. Check my post on this thread bellow. I use this method all the time with hair rigs. I used it this past Sunday thru Wednesday and caught 20-25 carp between 6-13 pounds. I hope this helps you.

Dale

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7746

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I also read that artice, just seems like too much work for me to make those things. I just stick with the simple stuff...that's my lazy side kicking in lol.

7. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The ready mades are ok...I'm lazy like you. Think Wacker sells a high-release one that puts out a bigger flavor trail like doughballs.

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    in usa i dont really think its necessary to use special made boilies n hair rigs unless you're fishin heavily carp fished waters. The europeans use these things because the carp there are so heavily fished that they have to come up with something new as fish get finicky.
    that being said, i just recently got into carp fishin and love making my own boilies and hair rigs! just wish i had a rolling table and sausage gun.

to answer the question, use braid to make yer hairs. I use 12 lb braid.

9. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    you can use mono for a hair rig but it depends on what lb test you use. when i fish for carp i never go above 8lb test. but hair rigs depend on the fish and clarity of the water, i have ben out on days when a hair rig with corn on a size 6 baitholder hook would work, then the next day nothin switch to a size 8 aberdeen (gold) hook with corn and i will get a good 80lb a day last week i fished and nothin till i put on a bb split shot and a size 14 barbless fox match hook and got 8 in 3 hours. one thing you got to always remember is smaller the hook, loosen the drag and light rod. people see me fish for carp with a 11' light rod and four lb tst and say im crazy till they see me catch them and bigger then theres.