Bogging down and dies

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bud1110, Jul 6, 2009.

1. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have a 25hp Tohatsu and recently it started acting up. I pulled the carb and clean it out good with carb cleaner and washed off with water and bl owed out. With the engine in neutral it will rev up fine, but when in gear it will only idle, maybe just a little above idle, before it chokes down and dies.

Saturday at the lake I tried choking it a little while under way in gear, and it picked up a little and then died again. I have removed the fuel line from the carb and put it in a clear plastic bottle then gave the bulb a couple squeezes and lots of fuel came out of hose into bottle.

I was just wondering if maybe the fuel pump quit working. Hopefully someone here can help me figure out the problem..

2. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have you considered looking at the fuel filter? May just be semi-pluuged and not letting enough fuel through at higher RPMs. Not a mechanic, just a thought.....

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes Sir,

It is a brand new fuel filter and bigger than the original.. Fuel comes thru the filter and the pump when the bubble is squeezed..A very good stream..

I forgot to add that I had a new Fuel filter when I made my post..

4. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    id try a fuelpump kit its just a diafram and a 15 minute job.inexspensive.

5. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    might want to check compression.low compression will do the same thing.also i would check and make sure its firing on both cyclinders.good luck

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Guys,

the engine runs smooth at an idle and a little above. Runs too good to have a compression problem. Will run fine in Neutral, under a load is where it bogs down..

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Timing??? Not sure, but I can tell you this, I had a Evinrude doing the same thing, dumped lots of $ into it with parts. Turned out to be a 4$ plastic piece on the fuel pump. A pin hole sized leak in the fuel system will shut that thing down quicker than you can imagine. If there is a leak, air might not get into the fuel system until you give it some gas and it gets under a load, mine did the same thing ran fine at low rpm's just gave it some gas and down she went. Running at idle fine does not mean you have good compression either. Best thing to do is start with the basics, compression and spark. If they are fine then you know you probably have a fuel related problem. A manual is a must, and it will show you how to do a test on the fuel system to show you if you have a leak. Another place to look is the tank vent, and the anti-syphon valve on the tank if you have one. Basically and little ball bearing type thing in the pickup tube that gets stuck from time to time. A fuel tank not venting properly can cause this also.

When you removed the carb did you rebuild it? Real important to clean out all the little jets and passages, and new floats are nice if available. Should all come in a carb kit. Save yourself the hassle, start from the beginning, weed the obvious things out first.:wink:

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Check the fuel bulb my dad 18 horse Tahotsu did the same thing.

9. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    as a mechanic i always check 3 things when a motor comes in with these symptoms fuel,fire and compression.if you are looking for a simple fix,these are the steps to find the problem.check gas for water,check the fire and check the compression.these are basic steps to find the problem.hope this helps bud and good luck

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Had one do that with a load on it an ended up being the diaphram was the source.

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I found the problem today and solved it. Carb jet I didn't see the last time I pulled apart, was stopped up pretty good. I checked the compression on both cylinders and they showed 150psi on each one.

Put motor in barrel and filled with water. Cranked it up to warm up then placed in gear. It revs up fine now..Finally..lol

Thanks for all the suggestions guys..

12. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Glad you got it going bud.put some seafoam in it every few months and that will help keep it clean.now get back to some fishing:wink:

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Is this a special seafoam just for outboards? Do you get it at a parts house, or special order it?

14. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can get it at most auto parts dealers.very good stuff.keeps the carbon from building in the engine.also Bud use the marine grade stabil in your gas because the ethonol is eating up the fuel lines up.ive been replacing fuel lines and cleaning carbs for people all year.they cant hold up to the ethonol.the stabil will neautrilize the gas.good luck:wink:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  15. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The Seafoam I've seen works for all motors, and I've seen it at auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, gas stations, and farm supply stores. Its fairly common.

16. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Well it's back to the drawing board again for me. My motor still doesn't take the fuel while under a load. Can play with the choke while giving some gas , and it picks up for a short distance then bogs down. Only thing left is the Fuel pump so I gotta order one of them.

Only one Boat place in town will work on my motor, and he told me he would get to it if I brought it by. Only problem with that is, he has 26 boats ahead of mine..lol

Can't wait that long so I will order the pump and see what happens then..

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Bubbakat,

Could you look over this thread and steer me in the right direction? Motor is driving me nuts..lol

18. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I think two thing #1 water in fuel try in fuel wash tank out with good gas .. leave open to air dry #2 sucking air under load new fule line... them two thing will surprise you.....only takes a couple drops of water to do it they hang up in the carb and don't want to pass thru.. and this new gas draws moisture.. and a pin hole in fuel line will suck air under a load. ... open your fuel tank look under the cap for water drops or moisture it will look like sweat under the cap... work on my motor all weekend changed plugs and everyting to find out it was water.... after changeing fuel give it 10 min. or so to run old fuel out and start burning new fuel

19. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Fresh gas in tank no leaks of any kind that I can see from the fuel lines. bulb stays hard. No moisture that I can see anywhere.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh Bud, buy American. I'd say it most definitely is a fuel related problem. I'd start with the pickup tube in the fuel tank and work my way through the carbs. The hoses could be collapsing under pressure, as stated the fuel pump diagram could be bad, carbs may still need a rebuild kit instead of a simple cleaning, and your link and sync adjustments may be out of tolerances. When Fuzzy and I work on motors, we always check everything... some previous owners have tried their hands at repairs or adjustments and had the adjustment rods over 1/2 inch out of tolerance. I would bet that you have all ready looked at your problem, you just haven't fixed it. Besides you not being right, that is. LOL