Body bait

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Deerslayer29, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    O.K. I've catfished now for about 5 years and the first 4 years all I ever used is either cut shad heads, sucker heads, and small carp heads. I've never used body bait until this year. My last 3 trips out have been awesome and I tried the heads and nothing!!! I cut up some body bait from a small sucker and caught that 27# shovel. I just had the suckers head in the same spot for 20 minutes. Then I threw out a shad head for 15....NOTHIN. So I thought to myself mabey they want the softer body bait so I threw out the shad body and caught another one about 10#. 2nd trip caught 2 small ones on body bait and my last trip my buddy and I caught 3 19#, 12#, and 3# all on body bait. Shad and carp. Anyone else have this much luck on the body bait??? Man to think back to when I threw the body's back in the water. What was I thinking. You live and you learn!!!!!!:confused2::confused2::confused2:

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gotta love usin the gut pocket! I usually use the head first but...

3. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wouldn't be cuttin up small carp.Thats live bait for me all day long

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    amen!!!

5. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use big pieces of cut carp ALOT ive caught alot of my fish this year on cut carp.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never used just the head. Use the body and live.

7. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i use 90% live bait but when im bumpin cut bait along with a cork i always use about a 1 inch chunck of body from whatever iv got handy...has worked very well for me...keep on castin folks

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah they are probly going after the gut pocket in the bait.I fish with the whole fish with a good cut in the gut.

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    yes jay,when i got live gill, i ll use it till it dies, then ill scrape some of the scales off,cut head off, then the tail, bam 3 baits out of one,

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I 've caught more fish on the body, but some guys like their heads too lol.
    The last two years since I started using cut bait (Damn Flathunter lol), When using shad or suckers, I'll cut off the last inch of tail, then slice a thin fillet off of each side. Just so the guts are barely exposed, then put the hook up thru the bottom jaw and out the top of the head. Makes a bigger bait, and gets the best of both.

11. fredrick

fredrick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I generaly try to change my bait every 10 to 15 min. So I use every cut of bait from the head to the tail. I always try to give them every chiose. But I always start with live bait it's my first chiose and best producer!

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe it is just me but I doubt they put nearly as much thought in to it as we do. They just see fish and if it smells right they eat it.