BOC virtual museum

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    I have some, what i consider, interesting fishing items. nothing really worth much, some older than i am. i found them quite interesting, and picked them up at auctions and yard sales. i know many of you have lots of fascinating fishing relics too.

what if we took pics and posted them on the BOC with a brief description?

i would be interested in seeing some of those things for sure.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil,I think thats a cool Idea.I have a few myself.

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a great idea. I bet there is old takle out there that everyone would like to see

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Phil has allready posted a pic of an "Old Relic" you need look no further than his avatar and, it ain't the fish, the rocks or, the water, LMAO!!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds very interesting

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    In the attached photo's you will see four old fishing reels in a wood and glass case. The reels consist of a Penn Surf Master (engraved surf fisherman on one side), a Penn Peerless No. 9, a Penn No. 200 and an Ocean City 904, made by True Temper. All four reels were reconditioned by a BOC member and the case was made by the same member.

Here is the story behind the reels. Some time in the early 90's my breakfast buddy met me at the restaurant that we had met at for almost 20 years for breakfast. He informed me that he was going to the hospital to have an operation and that the doctor had informed him that 95% of the time this operation was performed everything came out alright. Then he told me he felt like a 5% that day and he wanted me to have his fishing gear and he had informed his wife of his desire. Turns out, my buddy Tommy was right and we buried him the next week. Tommy kept all of his reels in socks to keep them in fairly good condition. In total, I got 20 some reels and about 16 rods (fresh water and salt).

So, some time in 2001 or 2002 I met Ron Shires (BOC member ThaBear) thru a striper club. Then I got him into catfishing and we became friends. I was visiting with Ron one day and I noticed that he had a small collections of old reels. I got to thinking about Tommy's old reels and decided to give them to Ron, which I did. Later I took some of my Abu's and Quantum reels to Ron to have him clean them up, lube and grease them. He called one day and inform me that they were ready, so I went over to his house to pick them up. He had them bagged up and ready for me. Then he said I want you to see something and it was the four old reels reconditioned and in the glass case. I was real impressed with his work and told him that they were going to look good in his den. He said nope, I can't keep them, your buddy Tommy wanted you to have them and I do too. After a bunch of resisting, I finally took them home and they now sit in the corner of my bedroom. Some people never have a real good bud, but I can count at least two. Thanks Ron and Tommy. Mac

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Wow those are some neat looking reels. Thanks for the post

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That is awesome Mac. Great story and a fine gift.