BOC Topeka & Surounding Area

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River Outlaw, Feb 5, 2008.

1. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Im new to the BOC, just joined a cpl days ago. I started this thread for Topeka & surounding area BOC members for local talk.

For those who fish the Kaw there is goin to be some changes to the Topeka Blvd. bridge area I believe. My brother seen at the library the plans for development of the north & south sides of the river. As if work on the bridge wasn't bad enough on access i'm curious what new business development will do to access during construction and after. We fish around the 2 bridges in that area and have had good luck there. I personally would hate to see access restricted by business' like the old Riverfront Mall in Lawrence which is now a hotel if i'm not mistaken.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You guys got any pics of cats caught out there? Do you guys fish off of that weir? Is it allowed? I just ask cause they are putting in a weir similar to Topeka's out here in KCK. Ive always wanted to come out there and fish the Kaw in Topeka, I just might have to come out that way this spring.

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i have a pic of my 37 lb. from there on my myspace page, myspace.com/mighty_thorr . My brothers 25 was before i got my digital camera & i still aint got pics developed yet. yeah you can fish off the weir when water is low enough but there are some draw backs. its quite a walk down to it and vehicles have been known to be broke into at where ya have to park. i aint had any problems w/ my truck the few times i been down there.

the weir they're puttin in there, it it goin in right by that peterbuilt shop along 435 ??

4. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I caught a 27# flatty off the weir. If the water is down low it is good to fish.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i believe it, my pard Troy swears by the weir, i just aint got nothin from down there. unless i can get out on it i dont like it because it can get real snaggy down there

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yes , the new weir is right by 435 , I think itll be done this spring. Im really looking forward to fishing it.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey CJ , where are you in the pic with your flat? If its a secret spot , Ill understand.

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i went down there once but they were still workin and the guys at the peterbuilt shop said things come up missing around there & i was in my mowing truck w/ all my equipment so i didnt chance it

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive never had any problems with my vehicles down there. I do know people who have though. Just keep everything locked up , and anything of value out of sight. If you wanna go down there this spring , just give me a shout. Ill be down there as much as possible, since I dont own a boat.

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    thats cool. me & my brother have a 16 ft. jon that we took over the weir but we weren't in it. if yer familier w/ topeka there is a spot right by the oakland expressway that we got but can only get to it by boat cuz we cant get ahold of the land owner. my bro had one on that he got a quick look at that was about the size of his 25# so we're goin back to get it.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    From what I have been told by several local TPD officers and Fish and Game that Fishing this area is off limits to the public it private land with no public paths to the river. This is unless you have a different area than I know about.

As for the weir, I have had some good luck fishing it but at times it can get busy. I have not had any problems with my truck, knock on wood. I don't have any pics of the fish I have caught from the area but at time if things are right you can hook in to a nice one. We have pulled a couple 30's and a 50 plus from the area. The scale went to 50 and it pegged it out. My guess would be that it would go 58ish. Normally you hook in to ones in the 5 to 10 range. Not a bad area just not the best in the area.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you talkin about by the expressway ??

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

hvent fished down there in years since i lived up in topeka. i used to fish around the old abanoned buildings on the sw side of town.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    the sw side of town along the kaw ?? ive been from st. marys to topeka on the kaw and cant remember what buildings yer talkin about.

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was told that the only area that people are allowed at the river in the Topeka area is the Weir and the area of the Oakland boat ramp. That is other that actually being on the river itself. That is a nice little float from St. Mary's to Topeka. You should try the Wamego area some nice place in that area. I grew up in Willard so running the river in the summer is all we did. Some of the best places are the feeder creeks around the Willard area. I have seen some big ones pulled from them.

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    all ya have to do is talk to land owners. im used to it from huntin and fishin before we got a boat. i dont think i can get my brother to go back to willard because the bridge is see through. lol i got on mapquest and looked at ariel pics along the river, drove out that way checkin some bank spots out. looks purdy good out that way

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well not to hard to find if you pay attention.sw topeka raod goes over the kansas river down there i used to live on 4th and polk .down in there is a bunch of buildings with all the windows broke out. i used to fish down there all the time.yeah i am bad with directions. but its there i geuss thats topeka blvd.heads s.w past polk street and all that find the river and look to your right

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i think i know where yer talkin about. that 6 story old brick building w/ all the windows out on the s. side of the river right beside the kansas ave. bridge ??

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

sounds about right.when i lived there i just drove down topeka blvd(i think thats whats its called) and headed towards the river. theres a road down there to get into that area. alot of trash from homeless down there.and that big building down there with all the windows busted out. there are some good holes in that area. have taken many a good flathead from that area. of course its been more than ten years since i have been that way. anymore i avoid topeka like the plauge.

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    lol @ i avoid topeka like the plauge. i know that area. i scour that river from hwy 75 to oakland boat ramp. the railroad bridge is where i got my 37 and my brother got his 25 by the water treatment plant at I 70 & gage. lots of 2-10's through there too. thats why i hope access aint messed w/ if they build in that area