BOC Seed Exchange

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Cattledogz, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Hi All,
    Its that time of year when summer days lead into fall and plants and flowers put forth tons of seed.

While I always leave much for the birds that I feed I collect some of the seed for the following spring plantings.

As I was collecting some seed today I thought it would be great to start a BOC seed exchange.

So I thought I would start this thread to see if anyone is interested in exchanging seeds with other members.

I can start by saying that I have purple cone flower seeds, white moonflower seeds (the annual shrub type not the perennial angel trumpets), a scant few datura seeds, lots of magenta colored four o'clock seeds, as well as tons and tons of Ipomea (Hummingbird or Cypress Vine) seeds.

Anyone interested in swapping?

Barb

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Barb

When you save your seeds DON'T put them in plastic bags...put them only in paper sacks. Plastic will not let them breath and dry properly.

Paper sacks will keep the seeds from rotting by letting them naturally dry and not sweat.

Jesse

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I believe we have some heirloom seed from this year. I'd have to check to see exactally but suspect some pale housewife beans, bell peppers, sweet peas & flowers: poppies (papaver Somniferum) Hen and chicks & crucifix.
    lots of others. I'd have to see first. These are just off the top of my head though.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi Barb, I believe I have some of our State flower seeds I can send you.
    (Blue Bonnets). they are very pretty in the Springtime when they bloom.
    I may also be able to get some bulbs of a flower they call Amarillo's, they are very beautiful.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    someone please pm me with info on how to dry out and save tomato plant seeds! i bought a cherry tomato plant at lowes this year along with other tomato plants but the cherry was a freak of nature! i would love to have them same gene's next year. i'd bet on any given day you could pick 200 ripe cherry's from it, all my neigbors and freinds are burnt out on them now.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I could be wrong, Mike, but I am not aware of any heirloom tomatoes in a cherry form. All I have seen were hybrids and thus the seeds would not be fertile or true to the parent plant. I have tried several heirloom tomatoes in the past and found that while the taste is above normal, they were all very prone to disease.
    Barb, I would be very interested in the Purple Coneflower, if you could explain to me how to get them to germinate. I have tried for several years with no luck. I was more successful with Morada (bee balm), but over time the color has changed away from the bright red to a pale purple. Not sure if it's in the coming from other plants in the area I am not aware of, or if it's a soil condition causing it.

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Kutter there is a heirloom tomatoe in a cherry form. My grandmother use to raise them and save the seeds every year to plant them in another spot. They would also volunteerly come up the next year.

Jesse

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Are you telling me, Jesse, that after all these years, I have been found to be wrong about something? LOL
    Well, I read somewhere that everybody makes a mistake sometime or another. So I figured I'd go ahead and get it over with.