BOC members who are MUSICIANS?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by redneckdrum, Feb 23, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Two thing's in life I give credit to God for:1.catfishing & 2.being a musician.I started to learn to play the drum's in 1979 while in jr.high school.27 year's later I still love playing music even more than I did back then.I am a son of a Pentecostal preacher,so needless to say I started in church.I was taught that R&R music belonged to the devil so the other alternative was country music.I never thought country music was cool,but like I said,I started playing & learning music in 1979,that was the year that it was cool to be country because the entertainment industry wanted use C&W format's to start a quick,new trend to get us out of the DISCO mayhem.So back then what became popular,TV shows like The Dukes Of Hazzard & Dallas,Kenny Rogers,Crystal Gayle & other country singers were hitting the pop charts & to make country really cool,they transformed John Travolta from a disco dancer to an Urban Cowboy on the screen(never did like the movie,the best cowboy movie from around that time was Clint Eastwood in 'Bronco Billy)And lets not forget Willie Nelson in 'Honeysuckle Rose'.You're probably asking yourself'why is REDNECKDRUM telling this worthless story?I dont know myself .I'm in a very well-established C&W band here in the Kansas City area and we are booked even through this summer.Our bandleader asked me if I was going to enjoy myself with the band this summer or am I gonna go out at night fishin' for cat's on the weekend.My reply to him was"give me the next 3 months to think it over" OK I'll shut up about myself.My question to y'all is 'am I the only member on the BOC that is a musician?' i'd love to hear from you(you dont have to be country either) I just love music(and catfishing) and wanna hear from others that have the same interest I do.(who knows,perhaps some of us pickers can form a band and get gigs at all the BOC GATHERING's,wouldnt that be cool?)

2. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Cool Redneckdrum! I graduated in 79 and tried to play guitar way back then. I liked the Eagles, Skynyrd, Zeppellin, 70's Aerosmith, and 70's ZZ TOP. I also listened to the Allman Bros, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker< Charlie Daniels. Conway Twitty, George Jones, Hank Jr. and Sr., Willie and Waylon, David Allen Coe. Really liked alot of George Strait and Steve Wariner from the 80's. Nowadays, its almost strictly Country. I just recently bought a decent accoustic guitar and started playing again. This time I'm gonna try to stick with it a little harder tryin some new things like "fingerstyle" instead of just bangin barr chords hehe. Also learning to read music also and learnin a little theory behind it.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I've been playing bluegrass banjo for about 25 years. Nothing fancy, no group, just good old back porch pickin', sometimes a jam session. I used to play every night, but just too much going on in life right now. I also noticed another one of the brotherhood signs off with a note about Stelling banjos. I have a Washburn, and also have a handbuilt bajo of my own design, and collect fiddles. Tried to learn fiddle, and took lesson from a fellow that was in the Cincinnati Symphony. I got to where I could play a few tunes, but never really got the hang of it. He said I already had too much muscle memory (machine shop) to work the neck effectively. That's something you want to take up when you're 2, not 22. I would encourage all parents to promote musicianship in their young children's lives, whether it's playing or singing. Learning the chord progressions and harmony helps with learning math and language, fosters teamwork and gives them a skill they would not otherwise enjoy.

Dennis

4. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Hi guys,I've been a player all my life.Started on the comb and wax paper on the back porch,playing Love is Blue by Ronnie Dove.Then moved up to trombone in the fifth grade.Played in school bands till highschool.Then the big move,started playing Bass to meet girls and be cool and all that.I played Bass on the road with all kinds of different bands for 10/15 years.I had to give that up to be home with the wife and kids.I still play pretty much just to keep up with the chops.I now mostly jam with my son.He is only 9 and plays drums to the level of alot of guys I toured with already.He's been playing 3 years so far.I too believe it's a good idea to start kids out early in music,It has endless benefits to lifes adventure.My son now plays drums,trombone,harmonica,and is catching on to keyboards rather quickly.It's surely helped his math skills and motor skills.Get those kids involved in music and fishing!

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Ive been playing music since a was a little kid. My parents as a hobby were into playing in operettas infact that is how they met. My mom started teaching me piano at 3 all through school I played drums guitar keyboards and a few wind instruments. Ive played in a lot of different bands country rock blues as an adult did that for many years. One band I was in we cut a video were supposed to go to TN to cut a record as part of the prize for winning the Marlboro talent contest. guy who owned the band pulled the plug on everyone as he inherited a ton of money. so much for that dream. Then as I got older and quit drinking I got away from playing in bands. Now I play the guitar for fun here at home or camping. My thing was drums in the bands. most of the time I used my cb 700s export 9 piece kit had them setup on a rack system.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Not so much these days but my parents say that when I was a baby I used to play on the Linoleum:grin-big:
    Seriously,
    Not learning music when I was in school is my single biggest regret now. If anyone has kids with the slightest interest in music try to encourage them as much as you can. They WILL thank you later...W

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    My dad is an awesome guitar player, and I am ok at playing drums. I am real good at playing snare drum in the marching band at school because I have been doing that for a while now. But I am just decent on the drumset, I love playing it but just have not practiced much because of fishing.

Zakk:)

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Hey, All you members that can play, should get together at the National Gathering and come up with something. I love to listen to some good blue grass! Think about it and start you all a thread finding out what instruments that we will have.

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I can play the radio......:rolleyes: :p

10. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    When I Get Really Drunk, I Like To Karayoke. Does That Count?

11. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i like to play guitar, i love to play some eagles or Ozzy, anything that has rock as part of the title i might give it a try to play. i was in the marching/concert bands since jr high up until wed. of this week, the cat season looks too promising i like to play everything but the oboe and english horn, somthin aint right with them instruments.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I am teaching myself how to play the banjo, I try to practice atleast 1 hour a day.

chris

13. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Have a "great";) 5 piece blugrass group, (Gospel mainly) but the mando/banjo guy moved away...Looking for a mandolin and or banjo player. I play guitar and love that high lonesome sound.

Good post.:)

14. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On my Mom's side of the family everyone plays something.I grew up around music every since I can remember.I play a 64' Fender Strat that my Grandpa passed down to me almost 30 years ago.I play with the Family everytime we get together,they mostly do bluegrass and gospel.Myself I like to play the blues.I like everything from Robert Johnson to Eric Clapton.I also like to play around on the piano but a Johnny Johnson I'm not.

15. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mutt, I used to have a set of cb 700 drums. It was a 9 piece, solid white with concert toms. I enjoyed the heck out of playing them. When I was 8 years old, I started playing. I'm 40 now(dang I'm getting old). I've played in 3 different bands. I started playing in public when I was 9 in a gospel quartet w/ my grandpa. He helped get me my first set of drums, Which was a set of Ludwig. Then some of my friends & I formed a band just for fun. We entered a talent contest at the district fair and won. We then advanced to the state competition & won that. So, we keep on playing at different events. We played all kinds of music. Gospel, country, Rock, Soft Rock. You name it, we played it. Most of all, we had fun. I still play a couple of times a week at my church. I play a set of Roland TD-8 electric drums now. They are a blast to play. Well, there's my life story. Sorry to bore all of ya. :rock-big:

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    my little kit was a 5 piece kit pearls easy to haul around when we would do 1 or 2 night gigs they were blue always used zildjian cymbals only ones i liked.

17. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    WOW! I didnt realize I'd create a good post on musicians(especially drummer's) I just paid $3400. for my new Yamaha Maple Custom Neuveau kit.Best drumkit i ever heard or owned.I still play my old Zildjian K.Custom cymbal's though.Seems like they sound better everytime i play them.Heck,I'm even gonna put a BOC decal on the front of the kick drum.I just wished they made the decals bigger.

18. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    been playing guitar for 15 years or so. got a pretty good band going here in texas. texas country and r&r. started out playing metal and got into country with my dad that plays steel guitar. we play a bunch so it really cuts in to my fishing time but i get out fishing when i'm not playing a gig.

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    does "ripping one" in different tones count?:D

20. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I'm not a musician, but I have been playing the guitar for 19 years. I still suck, though.