BOC member moving to Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Muddy96, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Friggin New Guy........I will be moving to Winfield, KS in September. I would really like to team up with some fellow brothers when I get out there to learn the ropes(locations, laws, techniques, ect....). Are there any of you out there from the area.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    welcome to kansas. I live a 100 miles or so north east of Winfield. I dont get down that way to fish . There are several members close to there , you will find someone

3. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Lots of friendly kansas catters on the this board.
    I am sure you will get hooked up good.

4. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome to ks.Sure you'll find some fishing partners around.Good luck

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I grew up in a small town about 14 miles North of Winfield, and now live in Wichita, about 35 miles or so away. I never made it quite that far South on the Walnut, but Winfield has some of the best catfishing in the state. You have great access to the Walnut, and the Arkansas Rivers, both good catfish water, and the Winfield City Lake has excellent catfishing, especially flatheads. They also have a catfish tournament that my brother and I fish in twice each year, that is a lot of fun.

How long before you make the big move? VA to Kansas (especially Winfield) will be somewhat of a culture shock! I lived in Fairfax for 3 years, but then I met my wife and moved back to Kansas.

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to Kansas Jerry. I live about 25 miles north of Winfield but get down there often because my in-laws live there. I also go through there on my way to Oklahoma. Looking forward to meeting you.

7. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    One of the main reasons I decided to move to KS was because people around Winfield were so friendly. I grew up in TX and this reminded me alot of that. I plan on getting there the first part of Sept. and I will not be working that first month so there should be plenty of time for fishing. I used to fish a river that looks just like the Walnut. Just guessing the main fish there is channel followed be flatheads(yellow cats where I come from) and there may be a few blues mixed in. I have never fished a river like the arkansas before, so not sure what to expect. As for the tournament on the lake, that sounds like a blast. When is the next one? Thanks again, Muddy

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They just had a tournament a few weeks a go. I'm not sure how often they have them. Where are you going to be working in Winfield when you get here Jerry? I'm guessing some of the guys there will be able to turn you on to the best local spots to fish. One of the best flathead spots is the Winfield Dam on the Walnut River. When the river is up that can be a real hotspot.

9. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Well, as you would guess I had to be alittle to late for the tournament. I plan to get there the first of September and start work at rubbermaid around the first of October. I may take a week of that and go back to Texas since I will still be on termial leave from the Navy. So I am guessing that I will have 3 weeks of good fishing time. I thought the dam in Winfield looked real promising. I can't wait to get there.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They have changed the tournament at the lake to a private, or invitation only tournament, to weed out a lot of the cheaters. They will have another one this fall though, probably the end of September or first of October. The spring one was real late this year (Father's Day weekend) and I think it really hurts to have it that late. If they would have it in the middle of May they would get more and bigger fish. Seems they always have the darn thing during a full moon weekend too! That really ticks me off! :wink: Used to be it would take a fish in the 35-40# range to even place on the flathead side, this year 19.5# took it all.

I will be sure to let you know when the fall one is. Maybe we can put some kind of GTG together for a weekend down there. Like I said, it is invitational, but between me, my brother, and my son, we can bring 3 people each to fish with, so we can get anyone who wants to in.

Would be a nice little weekend trip to get together if anyone is interested?

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Glad to have another BOC in Kansas. Welcome :boss:

12. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    good to have you on the crew pal.

13. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    good to have you on the crew pal. :byebye:

14. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jerry, I'm not from Kansas, but I would like to welcome you to the BOC.

15. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Speaking of moving to kansas, my time in the Service is running short, I have about a month left. I cant wait to get back and start fishing the Kansas and the Maris Des Cygnes again and you also cant forget about the hunting.

chris

16. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey welcome to the state... I live in Wichita thats not too far. Let me know when you get here...

17. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Well, I am here in Winfield. I have been here about a week or so. I have been fishing the lake alot. I know there is a tournament there this weekend. It starts friday and runs thru Sunday. I plan to fish it. If anyone else is let me know and maybe we can hook up. I am staying in my camper out there at the lake. Jerry

18. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I just moved from Winfield about a year ago after living there about 18 years. The Winfield Lake is a great place to fish, also Tunnel mill dam is a great place too. I have personally caught a 30lb flat there on good ol worms. Also the Wellington Lake is pretty productive. A friend of mine and I just untapped that resource about a year before I left. But whenever I go back we go there. Any questions just drop me a line.

Darrin Farnsworth
    farns73@hotmail.com

19. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas

20. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was going to fish the tournament this weekend, but they always have the darn thing right on the full moon. I keep telling Jay to not do that, but that is just where it falls every time. Hopefully the spring tournament will work out better.

Where you planning on fishing? The old dead road is a great place. It forms a natural shelf, and that cove has a channel running through it from the old river/creek that is about 12-15' deep, depending on the lake level. I caught a 11# flathead there in the Spring tournament, and lost one even bigger. Another guy fishing right on the road caught a 17# flatty there, took second place.

Good luck!