BOC Help!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by FireWater, Apr 21, 2008.

1. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 1986 40hp Mariner that I changed the impeller on. The Shift rod came out :angry: and will not go back in. It was working fine before the repair. What do I need to do to get it to go back in? I have a repair manual for this motor so I know I am putting it in right but it will not go all the way down. Do I need to break the lower all the way down now. That will suck!!!! Help please

Thanks Fire Water

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you have the shift ramp lined up right then reach in with a set of needle nose plires and get hold of the top shift rod and twist it ever so slight while pushing up on the lower unit and it should line the grooves up with the lower section.

3. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    The shift rod will not go all the way down in the lower unit. How do you get the plunger to set onto the shift rod with out taking the lower unit apart? It is like a spring has the plunger pushed to the back of the gearcace. What is the tool that takes the 3'' locknut off behind the propeller? I think one will be needed:embarassed:

Thanks for any and all help.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i have the same motor.. well it is a couple years older. I had the same problem nothing in the manual said how to get it back in. I finally figured out if i turned the prop slowly the pin at the bottom would pull back to allow me to get the rod seated again. It takes some time to figure out the "sweet spot" but it worked for me. good luck.