BOC gets a plug in local paper

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gator, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Retired soldier builds fishing rods by hand for fun, profit
    By:Jeff Whitten, Sports editor12/23/2005
    Email to a friend Voice your opinion Printer-friendly

Ludowici resident Jim Hudson with one of his hand-made fishing rods.
    Jim Hudson's job is on Fort Stewart, where he works with computers for the inspector general's office. His hobby is building fishing rods, an art he learned in 1985 while stationed in Hawaii. "I was watching an old Hawaiian guy build rods by hand on a pier," Hudson said. "He started showing me how to do it. It's been a hobby ever since." Hudson's still got the first rod he built with Kimo, a retired soldier and Hawaiian priest. And what began as a pastime has turned into a business for Hudson, an Alabama native who is retired from the Army, where he served part of his career in the special forces.

The bulk of Hudson's customers come from the internet. He's a member of the Brotherhood of Catfishing, whose website offers a link to Hudson's own company, Gator's Custom Rods.

"It's the largest catfishing club in the world," Hudson said. "I got started in this by building rods for members of the club. They wanted me to take it a step further, so I'm taking it a step further."

Last year, he sold 59 of his handmade rods, shipping them everywhere from Oregon to Florida. Since November, he's mailed off 10 rods ordered as Christmas gifts.

Hudson makes them all from a workshop in his Ludowici home, completely by hand. He doesn't keep much stock on hand and the process usually takes about three weeks, requires a 50-percent deposit and isn't cheap.

"It can cost from $65 into the thousands," Hudson said, "Depending on what you want."

And Hudson, an avid fisher and hunter, said he can build just about anything, from fly rods to those ready to take on marlin and tuna. He's repaired rods and he's even rescued rods from dumpsters and rebuilt them for himself.

But split-bamboo fly rods, for example, are costly. Hudson has only made two - one for himself, to make sure he knew how to do it - and the other for a customer who forked over $1,500.

"The reason it's so expensive is the curing and assembly process," Hudson said.

That rod took him seven months to build.

"I do it the old fashioned way," he said. "I do it that way because that's the way I was taught."

It's also something Hudson enjoys. His wife, Dina, runs a business from their home, so it keeps him out of her hair, he said, just as it keeps him occupied when it's the weather's too bad to hunt or fish.

As for what may happen with his business down the road, Hudson doesn't know.

"I'm going to let this go where it wants to go," he said. "Life's too short to worry about the little stuff. Just live it to the fullest and enjoy it."

For information about Hudson's rods, visit www.catfish1.com and look for the link to Gator's Custom Rods.

here is the link but you will have to get a free account to see the whole artical

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15808073&BRD=1389&PAG=461&dept_id=161951&rfi=6&xb=resuk

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Great post Jim...thanks for sharing that story....

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Look at You go Jim, gettin your well deserved fifteen minutes!!!!!

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Congrats and thanks for sharing. Hope the bussiness does well for you

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Way to go Jim! That is an impressive artical and a great plug for the B.O.C. Makes me want to put my order in and I will as soon as the smoke dies down from latest gear purchases!

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Good recruiting tool, I hope the B.O.C. can get some responses. :D

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Congrats Jim, hope you and yours have a very Merry CHRISTmas. Dick

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    get er' dun jim...good article, enjoyed reading it.......

9. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    way to go jim good to see one of our members getign there names up there. now just dont let your head get to big :D :D Mybe we can get us a whole lot more members for the website.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way to go, And I hope to order one of your rods some day. i got to use the One that Bam won. And i sure like it.

Pete

11. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Wow thats awsome Jim I cant wait to get mine.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A celebrity among us. LOL! Be carefull or the IRS will be at your door.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame and Jim just got his!!!

That is great news Jim, glad to hear it and great to see us in the papers.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very nice article Jim,
    I hope it brings your business and the BOC some new people as well.
    :thumbsup:

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Way to go Jim!!!!! Nice story brother.

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    That's great, Jim! Hope you are fully recovered now and ready to work, with publicity like that, I'd say you're gonna be busy! Best of luck to you and yours in the coming new year.

Merry Christmas Eve :cool:

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Very nice article JIM,

Hope you get lot's of business, and the Boc gets more Members too..

18. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Way to go Jim couldnt of happened to a nicer fella, keep up the great work and hope you are feeling better. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

19. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hope that that publicity does'nt get you so much work that you will miss out on fishin'.Good to hear that you got the coverage about something you enjoy and take pride in.WTG
    BILL

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Thanks every one but I took this as a chance to plug the BOC. I told the reporter that the way to get intouch with me was trough the BOC as ya'll are the ones that kind of made this what it is today. I mean if it were not for the BOC it would still be a small time hobbie that I enjoy doing from time to time in stead of a part time job that I enjoy doing.