BOC Brothers what is really going on?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ramon06, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have only been a member on this site since June and it is a wonderful site with plenty of cool guys/gals, a ton of knowledge and gear and I have talked, met and fished with people I would have never met without the BOC. I have learned so much since becoming a member and I see all kinds of arguements because everyone has their own opinion on subjects, I have even jumped in on a few because its hilarious to me and Im not sensitive or take things personal. There is however something that just doesnt sit well with me. I have noticed that everyone (not literally) but most of the people here knock every reel on the market except Abu Garcia. It is disgusting actually lol. I personally own a few 6500s and 7000s and I dont see what the fuss is about, they do their jobs just as my Okumas, Penns and Ming Yangs. I have friends with shakespere arsenal's who have reeled in 70 and 80LB Cats with no problems. Of course the arsenal's dont cast as far but if you're fishing from a boat who needs a reel to cast 100-200 yds? My Penn and Okuma spinning reels cast further than my Abu's do, does this make them better? My clickers on my Penn baicaster's are stronger than my Abu's, does this make them better? The Drags are stronger also, better? To make a comparison I put a 6500C3 on a 8' glow stick and a Penn 320GT2 on one, they both reeled in 20-50# Bluecats. Of course it was easier with the Penn. Casting distance was even if I used one more ounce higher on the Penn. Which one is better? I bought a 7000 put it on a Tiger M/H and the same Penn on a M/H Tiger, same thing they both reeled in a few 30s and 40s, it was easier with the Penn. The drag was better and clicker stronger on the Penn, casting distance wasnt even close the Penn won hands down, which one is better? All of these Company's have been around for a while and make an excellent product. Why cant people just recommend reels without saying this is the god of reels or this is the best hands down? Every reel has its place in a given fishing situation. Its kinda like how people think Mercedes is the best car because it has status, when a Lexus and BMW is just as good just to name a few. If I buy a S500 Benz, a 745i BMW and a LS460 Lexus and look at the amount of lost value after 3-4 years its amazing that the benz values drops the most but the cost is higher. Its the same with Abu Garcia it costs the most but Okuma, Shakespere and Penn cost a fraction but last just as long and gets the job done just as good if not better. I mean its not Saltwater but I fish the James River and it is just as good as any of the great rivers for big fish ie Ohio, Mississippi, Missouri rivers, etc and dont get me wrong I love my Abu Garcia's and am happy with their performance but If I had to pick one and only had $100 to spend I would pick the Penn, Shakespere or Okuma because I could get 2 for the price of 1 Abu. If I was on a boat definetly, now If I had to make extremely long casts from the bank I would probably then consider an Abu. I mean if my favorite deep hole is 60 yds away and they all could get there I just cant see myself getting the Garcia. Now If I needed to cast 200 yds then yes I would get the Garcia. If I had a boat which I could have right now but am going to wait until 2010 I wouldnt even have a reason to own a Garcia. But I never knock these reels, I recommend them along with any other reel. Now I know this will probably cause an arguement but I just want to know why some of you guys knock other reels because you have an Abu Garcia or even 20 or 30 lol. Some people havent even tried other name brands but yet you talk down on other brands why? This is gonna be hilarious, if I lose friends or even gain enemies you need to tuck your panties in and get into another sport.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i can't cast 200 yards,i don't care what reel i use,especialy with a big bait on.

3. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    good point man! i have abu garcias and they work great, but so does my shakespeare tidewater that cost about $30. i've had it for a few years with no problems.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Abu is riding on past marketing efforts. We were talking about this last week and wondered how much longer they will float based strictly on the social proof element alone.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Ramon,,,
    Great post,, I enjoy someone's personal and experienced based thoughts rather than cutting and pasting..
    You do bring some great points.
    I've become I guess you can say an Abu aficionado, I like their features, serviceability, and durability. and, have a select few models I like.
    also, I like the way they look!!
    I also own Penns, Diawas, Zebco's, rods and reels.. and, either use, or have used these extensively.. in the past, and with most of them, could pick them up and continue to catch fish with them.
    I'll agree with you, if you match the tackle to the target, you'll catch fish!!

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you gentleman who have posted so far, I will look at this post periodically to see everyone's comments. I did not intentionally start this post to make a war, I just wanted to know if I was really missing something or am just uninformed on the quality/performance of some reels. I know I have not used every reel on the market and do not know every inch of every reel I have personally used and am in no way in the same class of fisherman with alot of you BOC members.

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Ramon I feel the same way. I own Abus and Penns and I like them both. Before I got into big blue catfishing I was an Abu guy all the way. There are a few other reels on the market that I have experience with that I personally do not like, but I do not down them to others. If asked in person I will tell someone what my opinion is but I will not blast anothers equipment in an open forum. I have heard great things about Okuma but I have no experience with them so I have no opinion. I have some Penns on my boat and some Abus that are 30 years old. I like them both for different reasons, I also have some newer swedish made Abus that I like very well also. If you ask me I think a person should fish with whatever they are comfortable with.
    Everyone out there should be under the opinion that what they are using is the best they can afford for the job. I would hate for catfishing to become like bass fishing where most are radical gear junkies. Enough said.

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good thread. I, too, own reels from Shakespear to Zebco, but my reel of choice is the Abu. I guess it's kinda like your favorite cap or hat, doesn't matter whether you're wearing a suit or jeans and tee shirt, that hat will match the attire:smile2::smile2::smile2: Every piece of equipment has it's good points and from there it becomes a matter of personal choice. When I was a kid cane poles didn't have reels:eek:oooh: Stay safe and use your choice effectively!!!:wink:

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I've got older abu's, Penns, and Mitchell's. You can't beat a quality made product. Only time will tell if a reel was worth the money you paid for it.
    It's like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate, they all got there good and bad points, it's all in what you prefer.

10. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Great post Ramon. I love my Shimano TR200G'S In Fact at 59.95 and well over 2500#'S of pullage annually, Now they are 6yrs old now , but a great reel for me. Thereare alot of great products out there. Thanks again for the post

11. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Good post , I like abu's but I don't like the direction they seem to be heading in.The old reels are fine and can be rebuilt again and again.The newer reels don't seem to have the same amount of quality unless you step up to the higher priced ones.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If your using anything bigger than a snoopy pole with 4 lb. test then your just not a real fisherman :wink::smile2:. J/K
    I own more abu's than anything else but my tournament reels are shimanos and out perform the abus in every way. I have owned penns but not at this time. The best reel for anyone is the reel that they like, can afford, and have confidence in to land a catfish in the conditions that they fish.
    This thread is about reels but this also extends to every aspect of this sport. I have also seen and have been the target of people talking down to you because you don't do the same things that they do or don't use the same techniques or equipment. This forum is for everyone to voice their opinion about a wide range of subjects but is for NO ONE to force their opinions down your throat or to laugh about your equipment or setup. Just one mans OPINION :wink::smile2:.

13. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't catch fish as often or as big as what most of you do . But as far as fishing from the bank I use a garcia 6500 and a diawa millionair s . And I wouldn't trade my millionair for 2 garcias.
    REPS TO YA ,,,,good post

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I own some daiwa cvz300A and cvx300A that I do use and can say without a doubt that they will do anything the abus will, got some penns laying around if needed.

Avet is in the process of designing a level-wind as we speak about it, and its going to be one of the best level-wind reels ever made, if its anything like the quality of the non level wind reels:wink:

15. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    very good thread guys! I'm fairly new to catfishing and love to hear peoples opinoins on different tackle. I haven't experienced very many different reels yet and was kind of wondering the same thing. I have a abu7000, that seems pretty good. I had a zebco 808 that only made about 100 casts before it was trash. a hawg seeker that has made about 75 casts and seems to be on its way out. I have a shakespeare bait caster, not sure what model, that performs ok, and is holding up really well. I am pretty excited about getting a shakespeare arsenal for christmas and see how it performs for me! but for the price the arsenal, that I haven't used yet, seems as well built as the 7000

16. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Ramon nice post, but I have to say I'm an abu man myself. I have a lot of rods and reels, but I don't have any penns. Its just a matter of personal choice, and money. There was a time when all I could afford was a 10.00 rod and reel. I've always said you can spend as little or as much on rods and reels, and still enjoy the sport. My best fishing memories are with my 10.00 berkley spinning reel and glass rod. I caught a 24lb. fish with that outfit. I now have abus, shimanos, and dawias, that I've bought over the years just to name a few. But abu is still my favorite go to reel, just a matter of choice. But then there was the time my buddies and I were fishing, and this elderly man came up beside us. He ask us how we were doing, and if we would mind if he fished next to us. We told him no, and pulls this sack out, in it he has two spools of line with hooks. He also had a scoop used for gardening and these bells on a stick. He baits his hooks up puts them in the scoop throws them out in the water. Sticks the spool in the ground and the bells next to the spool. Well needless to say my buddies and I started laughing at him, we couldn't believe he didn't have a rod and reel. The next thing we hear the bells ringing and the spool spinning, we couldn't believe it. He hooked the fish brought him in, and were standing there with our jaws dropped. He caught a few more fish, and left us standing there with our fancy rod and reels and no fish. Maybe we all spend a little to much on rod and reels.

17. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Paul that might be true but not to me. I own a couple Abu's myself and have never been let down. They are great reels and they have alot riding on there name themselves. I don't think they can afford to ride on someone else's name, because they are such a big company. They continue to come out with reels that are top of the line and can go up against any reel on todays market. I have fish with many reels and have nothing negative to say about Peen or okuma or any of the big reels on the market. One thing I can say is you get what you pay for.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    One thing, hasn't been mentioned,, is this is a Catfishing forum,, and we have a tendency to target larger fish,and, usually, nastier structure, than some sportfishing does,,
    And,, there's a lot of folks asking advice, about tackle and gear,, so, in response to those type of inquiries,, Abu Garcia comes out as an often recommended option in the reel and tackle dept.. They do have a good track record in the two main reels used, The 6XXX and 7XXX series reels.. Easy to find, use, repair, etc.
    Because,, The folks around here,, with some experience,, have seen this Brand Work.And, along with others, Penn, Diawa, Okuma, etc. are recommended to folks seeking quality tackle to enjoy the Catfishing we all enjoy..
    And, I don't know,, but, I think, It might not be much different from Penn, as a recommendation in Quality gear to folks that ask about it..
    There may be some "attitude" with some, but, we all lean towards what we Like!!
    There's also models that all the above mentioned companies make, that don't get used much, mentioned, etc. but, it's not to say they aren't good tackle or quality..If they have the good to deliver the fish!!
    Just a bit of thought,,Thx,G

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good post, different reels and rods for different purposes and budgets. Lots of equipment out there will catch fishermen but wont' help catch a fish either. Nice to have.

I reckon folks get the best they can for their situation, I have been upgrading since I got back into fishing. I would still like to buy couple more reels for salt water and freshwater too.

I got some that impress me so much, and yet I know there must be better and some not as good. Same goes for rods, graphite is nice but wont' hold up to what I do. Its like folks like to use what they are comfortable with and what works for them, all in their budget.

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    ABU is good reels no doubt ,however my choice of reels is Penn.I'll take all of them I can get.
    Great post