Bobpaul needs some information please

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've set up a diving rig with a "Hookah system" and just got in an under water detector.

I'm looking for information on some swimming holes you folks might know about.

It doesn't matter where, but for now I'd like to know about some fresh water swimming holes in the Carolina's, Ga, and Va.

When I get the full dress rig on I look some what like the"Creature from the black lagoon" that's an old movie from the late 50's.

I've been known to travel a bit, so you never know where I might show up.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bob, any of the swim beaches on Falls Lake or Jordan Lake and you know about White Lake.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Bob, There are some swimming holes here on the "ohio river"!!! The water may be a bit fast right now but, it will slow down some someday, LOL!!!

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  5. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Have you looked around Helen, ga BP? First gold in the state was found in a creek near there. lotta tourists goin there now.

Joe

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, Hookah has scuba beat all to pieces, I see why you went that way. That is really a great set up. They still haven't dropped the water here in the lakes. The swimming area in both lakes here, aren't very big. When you go, take a bunch of pictures, that will really be interesting and I know it is going to be fun.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, it'll be awhile before any pics show up.

Maybe I should've posted this request in the marine section.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mark covered the area near me in NC. Lake Murray in SC might be worth considering and no gators. Falls Lake in Raleigh is another one.

9. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Nice way to go.
    I use to use one back when Evnrude{sp} first came out with theirs.
    I think that was in the 70s.
    Good luck!

10. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I'm certified diver, hookah rigs are great, never really went diving with one but they useally hang one over the dive boat when we are diving deeper so we can do a safty stop even if we are low on air. some use air tank the size of oxy /acet tanks. We moved here 2 years ago. and have been wanting to dive some lakes here. I have looked a couple times at belews creek for the comunitiy they sunk when they built lake. The water is clear but has light green tint so visibilty not far. Also been meaning to ask BOC what they knew about B-20 plane in Badin. (how Deep?} where? in Georgia at the boat ramp on ocmuggee river every so often people would find stolen cars/motocycles that were tossed there. one ramp had a 49 ford they said it look like it was there back then. burried and stock looking. also I think its Nags head there are 2 ship wrecks within swimming distance of the beach 30 foot at bottom of wreck. 10-15 below surface. but it's protected from taking things from it. we tried to dive there last year but wind and waves were to strong that day. plenty to look at. my wifes favorite is to watch the fish. they are freindly underwater. they dont run off as they do when you walk to end of dock. We are going week after next to Cyrstal River FL to snorkel with the Manate (Sea Cows) and some springs. water there stays 72 degrees year round. hears a couple pics. from last year

Attached Files:

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks all for the assistance.

Falls lake is on the list for sure

Jerry, Where is this Bellews Lake you mentioned?

I've been to Crystal River, It's beautiful.

I've petted Manatees from my boat on the water near the space center, and have hand fed them while wading in the waters around Cape Canaveral, before it was outlawed.

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Belews is in or around Walnut Cove, a little north of Winston Salem. Its pretty lake but gets crowded in summer. Last year we were on the boat temp was 91 degrees, the water temp was 95 degrees. felt like crapp you jump in and get wet then get out to cool off. Alot of people fis there but I havnt heard that much about how they do. I'm not sure how to fish bath water. lol

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Jerry, I'll put it on the list.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We have many old places people use but but we have sand bottoms everywhere.You have a hard time recovering the shotguns you lost 30 minutes to 8 hours ago.The sand covers it plus it moves with the current as it is covered.Also if it or part of it is exposed,the moving sand slowly cuts it.The softer like Gold and Silver the quicker.I have found several bottles partially eroded over the years where part of them stuck up into the moving sand.It it will do that to glass,it will surly cut softer items.There were many old Steamboat Landings,Fords and Ferries on the Savannah river that can be accessed at very low water,usually in late summer.Look for U shaped cut banks on rivers for old fords.Many drowned at fords at high water as people would chance it to keep from traveling for days to go to a safe crossing.Many accidents left stuff downstream of these places.Many places were able to be used at different river stages,but not at all.Below old bridge sites are good as wooden bridges were constantly getting in terrible shape before being rebuilt. Even in my life time in Ga.and S.C."Condemned"."Cross at your own risk"signs were common and heavy loaded vehicles from freight wagons to trucks were often lost.I remember people taking chances and using Terrible bridges on the Ogeechee and Peedee rivers.My father was a commercial truck driver,yet he walked the family across these two bridges,and went back and drove the car over for us to resume our trip.Often the Slews and creeks leading to the fords and bridges ran swift at high water,drowned folk and yet are overlooked.Many never made it to the river,or drowned after crossing the main body of water.Remember that Broken glass will often be a danger at most places where people collect.The good Ole boy drunks do love to build fires,drink and fill the swimming holes full of broken glass in the winter time.It seems to be a time honored tradition for a certain class of folk.Lord forbid that they discard a unbroken bottle.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Pee Wee Those black water rivers are something to be considered.