Bobbers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MaîtreDePoisson, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MaîtreDePoisson

MaîtreDePoisson New Member

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Does the size and shape of bobbers have a profound effect on the fish that are caught, or are they moreso personal preference or something like that?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd say personal preference myself. The best bobbers i've ever used can be found in the link in my signature. Gene is one of our greatest sponsors and I use them all the time. The 22.7lb flattie in my avatar was caught using one.:big_smile:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I shore fish so I use slip floats only. It's a good way for me to have suspended baits in deep water off shore.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Well - I could be wrong, but I would think that it would have a big effect. Just think of yourself out doing some Bluegill Fishing, and you were using one of those round baseball shape Bobbers. Now think of a gill taking that under water. Now think of you catching that same gill but using a pencil shape Bobber - now he don't fill it as much.

It would be like you or me going swiming in a pool & trying to take a Beachball under water.

But in Catfishing it not as bad because thay are bigger & don't fill it as much.
    :wink:
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't think they have a profound effect on catching or not catching. however, there are many different shapes and styles.. some are obviously more bouyant than others. i would suggest choosing one that best fits the situation your going to fish. ex. fast current...something more wide, than slender and high. bait selection has alot to do with the float also. i personally have made some homemade floats similar to what gene sells. and have bought others as well. i try to use the one that best suits me for the conditions, including weather.. and bait size as well...rollo

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    unless your fishing in the shallows for crappie, id say it doesnt make a difference. when I was a boy fishing from shore for crappie at greenlane reservoir, I could hardly catch a crappie on a regular bobber (those red/white or red/yellowish bobbers). I tried a stick floating in the water instead and suddenly I was on the money and filling my limit. educated fish in shallow water in the day, tend to be fussy.

7. MaîtreDePoisson

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Right now, I've got some small round cork bobbers, but I got unpainted cork so it's the same colour as a wine cork or something. That's probably more natural looking, just like the stick you were talking about Scott. The big reason I got it instead of others was that it didn't have lead paint on it like most of the other bobbers, and I'm a bit of a health nut type person. Hopefully it works well.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Eliott, was you planning on eating it? you handle lead sinkers everyday...explain!! lol rollo

9. MaîtreDePoisson

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Well, roast bobber is a delicacy according to some :tounge_out: I just try to avoid using lead when I can because it's not one of the best things to mess with a whole lot. I'm sure it's not that dangerous in such small amounts, but oh well. The plain bobbers ended up being cheaper anyways!

10. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Aside from what everyone else mentioned I also look at current and wind. In heavy current I prefer the old round floats since the shape doesn't seem to get bothered much. Also, with very little wind or current, I like the pencil especially when it will be some distance from you so you can see the flag easier.

11. dkhonda

dkhonda New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I prefer the Nite Brite slip bobber from Thill (I think). Easy to adjust depth and cast as well. This slip float is weighted at the bottom and lets me get rid of the sinkers so I can present only the live gill. Haven't had alot of success though. The current is the biggest pain for general use. It is also hard to anticipate the depths in an area without running over it with the depth finder or casting just a weight on my bluegill slip setup to depth sound.

12. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am stuck on Genes bobbers. They are a good all around bobber for catfish, they are very reasonalbe, and the glowsticks he sells are awesome. Check out Wild Wolf Products before you make a decision. Im glad I did.