Bobbers or Bottom?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by gcarlin, Jul 24, 2006.

1. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Hello Everyone, I wanted to know what you guys prefer. I do alot fishing for flatheads and really am undecided on whether using bobbers for cats is easier or just keep fishin for flatheads on the bottom with live bait. any suggestions?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    We dont have flatties up here but, but personally ive never had any luck using bobbers for chanell cat. Ive herd they use slip bobbers when fishing for flatties around structure like brush piles ect. Makes sense to me.

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like using a slip float and setting my bait right above botom or right above th cover i am fishing wich is usually big boulders or a submerged log.i just let my bait drift around i seem to cover more water this way.this is how i do most of my flathead fishing.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In moving water, unless I'm fishing below a spillway or dam and I want my bait to drift, I'm always a bottom guy. In lakes I do like to use bobbers from time to time with a live bluegill out there, but probably 80% of my catfishing is done on the bottom.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    They both have their pro's/cons... Bobbers are a part of my catfishing "Arsenal" and imho you are limiting yourself if you don't consider using them..
    I've caught some of my biggest channels by dangling some shrimp under a bobber pushed up next to a logjam/Blow down or using it to "Drift" fish over different sections of a river or lake..
    I use em with Live/Cut/Livers/Crawlers/Stink Bait, etc. pretty much anything... They can be/are a very effective presentation..

6. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    For me I am usually on the bottum with a slider. I have been trying bobbers as well and they will produce but most of the time I get better results on the bottum. Of course it depends on where you are fishinig and how deep they are. Right now it is hot out here and they are staying as close to the bottum as possible in the waters that I am fishing. Of course if you head to the river that water is always freezing cold because it has a lot of snow runoff so they could be sitting anywhere they want and it wouldn't effect them.

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I never fish off of the bottom for any type of fish. Most catfish search for food off of the bottom of rivers and ponds, etc. So I always make sure my hook is around 12" off the bottom. As far as bobbers or slipfloats, I have never used either for cats, but have heard good things about them. I just stick to what works for me.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I used to only fish the bottom. I have had so much luck with jugs about 2 foot deep here lately that I went and bought some popping corks the other day. I will be trying them soon.

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    always be prepared to try anyting..what don't work one day might work the next...

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    you got that right!

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tend to stick with bottom, but bobbers do have their place.

12. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    i would use a bobber in a boat in about 4ft. of water otherwise stick to the bottom

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have yet to catch a flattie on a bobber. I have tried the large glow tip bobbers with a bullhead under it and all I have ever caught is big walleyes. But I just bought some of Maine Wolf Products(BOC Sponsor) "Kat Bobbers" and they come in some large sizes. I cant wait to get on the river friday night and give them a good hard try.

14. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Greg,

I use slip bobbers for channels and blues to find their depth. I do not use them for presenting live bait for flatheads because it allows the bait to swim into the structure and wrap you up. I use heavy no-rool weights to keep them where I put them.