Bobbers do work for catfish!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by EasternWAcatfan, Aug 4, 2009.

1. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    Finally after a summer of fishing and no luck on the catfish got into a good bite. I have always thought of catfish as bottom feeders but the bobbers worked!

Attached Files:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. I use floats all the time. I will put bait on the bottom and then float bait at different depths to see what will get a bite.

3. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
  4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i used to fish bottom only , after joining the BOC and getting alot of good onfo i started to use bobbers, yep increased my catch alot

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I had to learn the hard way too:angry:. Now I always put a line out with a slip rig & adjust the depth to the bite. If they're on the bottom, I just use the other set-ups:wink:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    People that try our Kat Bobbers find out they have been over looking some of the best fishing for years..
    We sell the best slip floats on the market for catifsh.
    Pete

7. Steelie L

Steelie L New Member

State:
    Washington
    Nice work, man. Congrats.

I think I read in one of your posts that you're in the Tri-Cities. Have you ever fished the lower Yakima? It's not too far from you.

I've fished the upper section many times for trout but never the lower section for cats. I think I'm gonna give it a try some night next week.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on the nice meal. Yep bobbers are good for the kittys for sure!:smile2:

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Pete is right. I bought a Kat Bobber in early Spring, and this has been the best year of fishing in my life. Wild Wolf Products make a very nice float. I like the Fat Kat personally, it has set the hook for me every time. the smallest fish this year is 7.0 lbs. Ive caught over 20 in the double digits with the Fat Kat. Carolina rig bottom fishing hasent even came close this year on catiching fish. Long live the bobber. :eek:oooh:

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice bunch of pan friers. Someone is going to have a good dinner. :wink:
    What were you using for bait?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  11. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    We used to fish at a catfish pound where the catfish were fed (not sure what difference that makes), and all we used were bobbers. Hardly ever had a problem catching them. I was catching some last week with a bobber not far from the bank. Caught a few good eaters (1#-2#) until we got rained out. I don't know a whole lot about cats yet, but best I can figure is they may have been spawning in the nearby grass. They never nibbled that day, they just attacked; it sure is fun seeing that bobber disappear. :big_smile:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats what I been trying to get in you catfisherman head, I catch most of my cats on a float. :smile2: Congrats.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Floats and BIG gills.

14. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was fishing with an ultra light spinning combo, a float setting about 2 1/2' deep, and a small ice fishing jig. I cast WAY out in the middle of Lake Reba, and let it sit there for 10 seconds, and then my float was gone. No pecks, just straight force. I hooked only two of these small channel cats, but they bit like crazy for around 15 minutes. One was 9" and the other 10 1/2". Small lil' fish but was fun on ultra light!

15. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    floats work best for me when the water is scorching hot, and the fish are not very active

16. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well here in the Tri-Cities we use all sorts of bobbers for cats, early spring bottom is great but by end of March in a few spots a "night bobby" bobber set up as a slip bobber set at 5-8 feet (depending on depth of water & river levels) is the cats meow. You can use anykind of bobber, I have seen steelhead bobber set ups with a "bobber beacon" glow stick on it catch 4 fish in a hour. I fish behind Bateman Island, it is at the Yakima River delta, very popular with the long time locals, and is a major spawning area. Also I have used bobbers day & night with great success on the Walla Walla & Snake rivers. If you are looking for a good spot to cat fish there is also the flat of the Walla Walla river delta near Wallula junction, Lower Mounumental dam & Ice Harbor dam on the Snake, also the Paluse river, it is in the middle of nowhere, meets the Snake at Lyons Ferry, it is also loaded with Samllmouth & pike minnow (AKA Squawfish) which makes GREAT cut bait for Channel cats.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have used slip floats 100% of the time for 35+years in Lakes. Maybe 90% of the time the bait was on or near the bottom using the floats as strike indicators. and floating at different depths the rest of the time. Catching thousands of fish Big And Small.

The only time I will use no float is when river fishing, and sometimes then they will come in handy when your floating up into creek channels.

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Been on many a trip where the ONLY thing they hit was the line with a Kat Bobber... I fish em with live gill, cut gill, live shad, cut shad, whatever..

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm a strong believer in the Kat Bobbers. Do yourselves a favor and give them a try. You want look back.

20. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Aint that the truth Mickey. If I never ran across the Wild Wolf Products page, and ordered some Kat Bobbers from Pete, I would of never had a great year as I did. Kat Bobbers are deadly. Rivers and lakes. Stick a Bluegill on the hook and hold on.