Bobber vs Bottom Fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Feb 3, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering should I stick with the bobber or try bottom fishing?, I have fishing with a bobber rig and with no sucess.

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    CJ, what kind of bobber rig are you fishing? I plan on fishing with alot of bobber slip rigs/floating gills this year. I have only caught flatheads on the bottom as of right now..

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a slip bobber rig.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I will post some pics tonight of the rig I will be trying this year.. I wouldn't give up on them just yet..

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i really dont know too much about blues, but flats and channels will hug the bottom during the day, unless their suspended above deep water in lakes. best to fish bottom during daylight, and at night they will feed at all levels of the water column but mostly less than 6ft. if you do not have much current of have an eddy try using slip floats at night set 2 to 6ft deep.

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have caught far more cats on bottom than on top,in the river i use a three way and in a lake just a regular slip sinker.

7. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    It depends on the depth of the water.For catfish in my pond i use a bobber and have tons of sucess.It mainly has a lot to do with your preference.

8. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    slip bobbers are a great way to fish u can fish any depth catch anytype of catfish the best slip bobber i found to work are the little joes in a 7 inch put to big spilt shot bout an inch and a half away from yer hook move yer stop and your redy to go

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    maybe a slip bobber could work good if your fishing a log jam or rock pile or something.ive never tried this but it sounds like a good idea but otherwise i like the bottom.

10. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I would have to agree with the above quote. I have had some sucess with channels but never a flat. When fishing for flats I always fish on bottom

11. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys;

About two years ago I started bobber fishing for Flats and had better sucess doing that just befor dark in shallow water(5 to 10 foot deep). I was using balloons for bobbers. The big problem was casting them and the wind would blow them aroung pretty bad. My Friend Jonny Smith(Maine) and I came up with a bobber where we could suspend larger baits without sinking the bobbers. They cast Great and wind doesn't bother them near as bad. They are of the slip Bobber type. The fish you see in my profile pic was caught suspended at 40 Ft in 90 foot of water in the middle of the day. Fishing with a large piece of skipjack Cut Bait caught that 34# Blue within minutes of casting it in with the bobber set for 40 feet deep. Had a couple more on but missed them. So bobber fishing works for me better than bottom fishing. To see the bobbers I use click this link.
    http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/katbob.htm

Just my opinions and experience:

Gene

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think its got a lot to do with the area you are fishing and the time of year. in the summer time on the lake i fish a slip cork works great because of the thermocline. the blues here will suspend at the thermocline in the summertime. in the winter i think you are better off fishing on the bottom because the lake has turned over and you no longer have the thermocline.if you are fishing for flatheads and you have structure in deep water you can use the cork to suspend the bait right over the top of the structure. i done really good with this method last year on the flatheads. i fished 60ft water with structure up to 45ft so i set the slip cork at 45ft. caught alot of flatheads. now in the hotter days of the summer i set my slip cork at 25ft because of the thermocline and i was targeting the blues in the lake. i would anchor for the flats and drift for the blues. i mainly fish big open waters in the summer where bait was present. i only fish lake so you river fisherman may not get a thermocline because of the water flow.

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it really depends on what you are fishing for and where. In a lake you can get away with bobbers setting the bait 1 to 3 feet from the bottom, or do what i do sometimes and set it on the bottom and use the bobber as a strike indicator. In the river you can fish along current edges with river bobbers with shiners and small gills or shad and catch plenty of channels especially on smaller rivers. But for the big boys in the river i have done better on bottom, but bobber is a close second

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like fishing the bottom myself.Ive only had limited sucess with bobbers and never anything big.really the only time i use a float is when im fishing a high snag area,mybe thats why ive only had limited sucess i dont know but i prefer the bottom.Some folks dont use anything but floats and bobbers but im not a big fan of them myself.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I read about this float set-up in In-fish, Its shaped just like the old strongman bar-bells, A hollow tube with two round floats on each end.
    You put your sinker on the main line first then run the line thru the tube and tie on a swivel. (the swivel is pushed into the tube to prevent line from being pulled out) Then just tie on your leader and hook.
    Its very easy to cast, when it hits the water the sinker rests on bottom, the float and live -bait float up. Then you have a struggling bait on top swimming around but he is kept in the area you want. He just goes in a circle. I've caught flatheads up to 20 pounds with this. I should use it more than twice a year I guess. Its a slick little system. It works just like a limb line, keeping the bait near the surface splashing and making noise.

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    akwolf that is an interesing set up.would be great for lake fishing when using big baits which is what i use

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have always started with a bobber on one pole and the bottom on another. That is if you are allowed more than one pole. Clouds, water temp, clarity, wind can make a differance. There is never a set solution. So drown some worms and bob a cork. Its all good when your fishing.

18. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Kspor couldn't have said it better. If you're going to fish big baits for the big blues or flatheads, I would recommend the Maine-Wolf bobbers. They are awesome! Gene Chambers made me a couple of 5 1/2 inchers on a custom order, The bobbers cast nicely, and they accept a glowstick for night fishing. Good luck, Fastfrank