Bobber stops ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bootshowl, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm having a hard time using the commercial bobber stops used with the beads, for float/line depth. Seems I'm not getting them tight enough on the line for them to stay in place. Is there a secret?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depends upon which variety you have. I have no problem with the few commercial ones I use. I usually just use a rubber band or some heavy monofilament and create my own stopper.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I agree with Lawrence on this one Gary - That's the same thing I do when come across some that are not tight enough.
    :0a22:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    try using 2 bobber stops together. Get them both as tight as you can and then push them together. As with turning a corner in nascar, 8 tires are better than 4, same with bobber stops.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can also use some teflon thread tape . Just cut off a small piece, wrap around your fishing line,and tie two overhand knots and trim remainder. Works great, and can be purchased at your local hardware store.:lol: :big_smile:

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had the same problem, I learned to tie my own. They always work great just use mono a little bigger than what your main line is.

7. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can also use the white or other colored three strand masonry twine. It's cheap and will give your many years of bobber stops for only three bucks. I usually cut to a foot and that gives you plenty to work with as well as three stop knots. If you're wanting to stock up unroll however much you want an then fold it by the foot. Cut where the end loops are and then pull the three strands apart for each twine foot (don't unravel and then cut, its faster and easier this way.). When done, line them all up and fold the entire mass in half and put one or two rubber bands around the whole thing. Now whenever you need a bobber stop, just look in your tackle box for this mass and pull one out from where they all bend. You'll take one and the others won't even budge. Keeps everything neat and simple as well as cheap.

Attached Files:

8. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Gary Here is a link to the members library it has how to tie a bobber stop. i seem to be having a problem with finding any that will fit into my little crappie reel a zebco 1.
    Have a good one keeep them lines wet
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38779

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Also, when you clip the "tag" ends, leave enough on each end to "retighten" if needed.....It shouldn't be left long enough to hang up in the guides...DemoMan

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've used small thin pieces of rubber bands for years.They are CHEAP and very easy to use. They work a lot better than anything else i've tried and easy to take off. I just bought a package of 500 small rubber bands for .99 You can't beat them. Just take a piece about an inch or so long,make a loop and wrap the loop around your line.Then pull the 2 ends of the band thru the loop and WAALAA!!! Instant bobberstop that will last as long as you need it and can be pulled right off if you need.

11. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I use them alot. I tie an extra knot with the leads then cut the extra off.