Bobber Stoppers

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by trnsmsn, Jun 12, 2006.

1. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Evening, In The Past I Always Used Small Splitshots For Bobber Stops But After Reading All The Articles Here On Slipfloating, I Decided To Change My Old Method & Switch To Using Bobber Stop Knots.

I Went To Wally World & Bought Some. They Are A Clear Piece Of Vinyl Tubing About 1/2" Long With Yellow String Wrapped Around Them. The First Thing I Tried Was To Put The LineThru The Center Of It Then Tie The Yellow String To The Mainline.

Well, I Don't Know If I Was Doing Something Wrong Or Just Having A Bad Day But I Had To Abandon The Attempt, I Couldn't Get a Hold Of The Yellow Line. I've Got Real Small Hands & Still Couldn't Get It.

I'm Open For Suggestions & Thanks In Advance,Elliot

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use a small piece of thin rubber band,works very well and very cheap!Also if you want to take it off,just pull it off,a lot easier than the yellow string.Hope this helps!

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Put the main line through the plastic tube, slide the yellow string off of the tube onto the main line and throw the tube away. Now pull the two tag lines of the yellow string and the knot will get tight, now cut the two tag lines.

4. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm not sure from yer description exactly what ya tried, but I've always slipped the line thru the little plastic tubing and then slipped the line off of the tubing (towards the reel) while carefully tightening things up. The plastic tubing is then slid off of the line and thrown away. Once snug on the line I clip off the tag ends and if I'm feeling frisky, I'll put a very small bit of "Hard as Nails" fingernail polish on the knot. It helps to keep it from getting fuzzy after going thru the guides a bunch of times. :big_smile:

Have fun with slip bobbers. I use them all the time with DK at about 7-8 ft. Works for me.

Bob

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There's also another "style" I like better than the thread ones. They're a flat red plastic one with a hole in each end. I have trouble with the thread ones too, but for the opposite reason, my hands are too big.

Smitty

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Rip was telling you straight!!! they work Great and you are able to slide them up and down your line to ajust your bobber to what ever depth the sisuation calls for. Good luck and Good Fishing. Bigcatman0816.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Now There's A Really :0a24: I'm Surprised That My Buddy Didn't Come Up With Something As Such, He's Real Thrifty.

I Can See That Working Well,Thanks Man !!!!!!!! Elliot

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I went to wally~world and bought this little tube with an eyelett type device and some little beads. I take the eyelett and thread my line through it and give it a couple of wraps and through the bottom hole and add the stopper bead. It's really simple but small. I use this for smallie fishing though. HTH.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No problem at all,glad to have helped.I've been doing this for years and it works well.Also if you wanna fish bottom,pull off the rubber band and there you go.Snip off the ends of the rubber band so it doesn't get caught in the eyes and mess up the depth.

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke

Thats what i use very easy and cheap

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I use the little rubber stops available at Wally World for smaller diameter line (up to 12 lb or so) - they're easy to put on the line but it may not be obvious the first time you look at them. They come on a wire loop with an eye at one end - thread your line through the eye and double it back on itself then slide the rubber stop off the wire and over both ends of your line till it comes free from the wire. Finally pull the tag end of your line free from the rubber stop.

For bigger line I use the string type stops mentioned above. Never had any trouble getting them off the piece of straw.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Click here to see a great article in the library on how to make your own bobber stops. Written by our good friend Doc Lange!

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Instead of throwing tube away, couldnt you use that instead of a bead to protect knot from weight?? (not sure how big this tube is heh)

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Rep for that! Many fishermen use small pieces of surgical tubing to protect knots. I never thought about the "knot tubes"! Excelent!