Bobber Stopper

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by gofish, May 21, 2007.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    What material do y'all use to tie your bobber stopper knot? I just learned how to tie it and am thinking about trying it out this afternoon. I used some thread from a bag sewer to learn but I'm wondering what is best to use in practical fishing situations? I've heard that people use rubber bands...does that work well? I'll be trying to catch hybrid bass using a Zebco 33, fishing 10-12 feet deep. Suggestions?

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    While there AKWolf came up with his products and gave us all a demonstration! He said to use embroidery thread to make a bobber stopper. Send him a PM and he will explain it better than I can!But it sure looked to me to be a good Bobber stopper.:big_smile:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Teflon tape and a couple of good tite granny knots work like a champ and are less complicated.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use those bobber stop knot packs from Wal-Mart and they work pettry decent.

5. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As has been previously mentioned in this thread as well as an older thread, the teflon tape not only works very well, it also slips through the guides easily. It is one of the best fishing tips I have ever gotten from this board. My hat is off to whoever originally thought of it. My apologies that I can't recall who first thought of this great idea.

Ralph

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I use rubber bands.Loop them thru thier self around the line and back it up with a good tight halfhitch.I also do this instead of using splitshots on sliprigs because the rubber band can easily hold back a 3 ounce egg sinker and doesnt compromise line integrity.

7. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not sure if this will work well with any kind of spincasting reel because of the way line is fed to and from the spool, but I have yet to feel the bobber stops using the same method on my spinning reels. Anyway, here's something I posted a few months ago.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=629418&highlight=bobber+stop#post629418

Just as a side note; I tie a uni knot onto my line for my stops and usually go through the loop 5 times.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    What's a bass?

:lol:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I do this and it works better than anything else. Its a lot easier to remove also than thread and you can get 500 for a buck.

10. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    its BAIT my brother

11. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Got to talking to a dealer on ebay. bought a 1000 and he included another 1000.
    light pink, dark pink

12. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

As it turned out, I did not use a bobber while fishing Monday. I found that the target species was preferring a drop presentation. Using two jigs, we would cast out and let the jigs sink to the bottom. Twitch them up a foot or so and let them sink back to the bottom. Most hits came on the drop. My daughter and I caught about 50 in an hour and a half. I tried to tell her that it couldn't have been any fun though...they weren't catfish. She said that whoever told me that was.......:005:

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I'll be interested to know more about the "teflon tape" deal....I searched the forums, but only came up with about three threads that mentioned teflon tape.....It was told that a member by the name of bluecatnut told him about it.....Anyone find a thread about teflon tape???Dwight

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Teflon tape has worked well for me on lighter weights but when I'm using 3 oz. sinkers I can't get it to hold so I switch to store bought bobber stops. I'm going to try the rubber band idea and see how it holds.

15. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info....I wonder why the tape won't hold w/three oz. sinkers...What size float/line are you using w/3oz sinkers????Dwight

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use the catbobbers that I purchased from Gene ( Great bobbers ) , run 30 lb. line, and a 3 oz. no roll sinker. The tape will just keep on sliding. I may just need to practice my granny knots:lol:.

17. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Fishin in calmer water's wouldn't hurt anything either....lol....I've gotta try out my new Thill floats and try em out tonight....They won't handle 3oz sinkers though....I got the 4" ones.....Dwight

18. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll be trying to catch hybrid bass using a Zebco 33, fishing 10-12 feet deep. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

My suggestion is to stop trying to catch bass and go for a real fish like a cat. :eek:oooh: Just kidding, well kinda!:lol:

19. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i use the rubber bands. it works and its cheap. plus i use the snelled hook holder i got out of the library so their already right there with the leader.
    and don't pick on the bass fishermen. someone has to catch the bait .... lol.