Bobber stop issues

Discussion in 'WILD WOLF TACKLE' started by nitronostrils, Sep 30, 2007.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Start using Katbobbers acouple of weeks ago and usually set the depth around 4-5', but when I reel in to check the bait the bobber stop is around 12'. So I know something is getting the bait and pulling it down futher. Is there any way to stop the bobber stop? Current set up is bobber stop(dacron), bead, katbobber, 3/4oz egg sinker, leader. Thanks for any input.:confused2:

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Ive had the same problem.. Finally used a small piece of rubberband and tied it to the line ahead of the dacron..

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    make sure you cinch them up tight...they work and stay tight on mono, but sometimes if using braid they are tough to get tight and work themselves loose from going through the eyes on your rod. i would recommend using two of them back to back, slide them together, then cinch the both, and trim accordingly. this should take care of your problem...goodluck..rollo

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use power pro and have had similar problems. I now use 30lb mono as my bobber stops. Try an extra turn or two before cinching up and you should be good to go.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A few weeks ago one of the brothers suggested using white teflon plumbers tape for the bobber stops. Wish I could remember who it was so I could credit them for this suggestion. It will tie a very small, tight knot and when you cut the tabs off, the knot stays.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I gave up on the store bought bobber stops and the teflone tape. neither one would work for me for any length of time using 3 oz. weights. I switched to using rubber bands and they hold a lot better.

7. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Yeah I was using the store bought where one slips off the tube and cinch it up. I'm thinking teflon would slip when getting wet its kinda slippery to the touch when dry, so I'll try the rubber band. thanks.

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I tie my own,using dental floss it dont slip and lasts a long time

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use rubber bands. They work for me.

10. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys;

I have tried about every material to tie Bobberstop knots and the one I have found that works the best and lasts for a long time is to use Embrodery Yarn. It looks more like a semi braided string and ties up easy and will get really tight on the line when it gets wet. You can buy it at Walmart in the Notions Dept. where they sell sewing and netting items. It is really cheap, something like $0.49 for a skein enough to last a year or two.

Just my opinion and experiences:

Gene

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the advice, Gene. I'll have to try that.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I too use 3 oz. of weight under a regular Kat Bobber with big live bluegills. I had this problem also. I used 3 dacron stops, and they were still moving up the line. When the fish hits it , it puts all the pressure against the stops. That bobber is really buoyant. I finally put on 5 stops , and it stayed good. I will try the rubber band idea after one or two stops to see if that works. :big_smile:

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use 20lb test dacron flyline backing, tied with a 6 wrap nail knot around the main line. Only thing is you can pull this knot so tight it won't slide when you want to change depths.

14. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    IF I were to try the rubber band idea, how would I tie it? Just an overhand knot, the regular bobber stop knot, or what?

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just an overhand knot tied once works great for me!!!!I use a big diameter rubberband and tie it really tight.:big_smile:

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I just put a half hitch in my line the put a piece of the rubber band in the loop then tighten. Takes about 4 seconds and holds really well, also adjustable.

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree. Here's another pointer if you're using braided line. when you slide the stop off the staw, try to cinch the knot close to the depth your gonna be fishing it. (don't cinch it and set up then slide it to 10 foot) the braided line is tough on them and loosens them up after moving it too much.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I do that , but I change depths frequently. Im gonna try the rubber band method next time. Thanks. :big_smile: