Bobber or Tight line?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by OleWhiskers, May 6, 2009.

1. OleWhiskers

OleWhiskers New Member

State:
    Minster,Ohio
    I was woundering what everones favorite way to fish for catfish (bobber or tight line) is and opinions on which is best and why????:0a1: I myself tight line. but i am thinking of tring the bobber.

2. sublime

sublime New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I prefer tight line. I do fish bobbers too.

But I like to fish tight line for flats because when they start to bend your rod they seem to really clamp down, in fear that their food is going to slip away. IMO flats bite better when they think their prey is getting away.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I tight line more than I fish with a bobber. But at times, a boober can be a very effective way to present your bait. With a little wind or current you can cover more area that tightline.

4. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use both methods all depends on the bait im using and conditions.

5. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My feelings exactly.

6. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Same here, I've always been a tightliner.... but that's mainly because I'm nearsighted(blind as a friggen bat) and have a real hard time seeing bobbers.
    Also the smaller ones seem to drift a little too much, and the big weighted ones are kinda expensive.....
    But I have an idea for some pop-bottle bobbers that I'm going to make up and try this year......being a pop bottle you can just unscrew the cap and throw in as much weight as you want, or at nights you can put in one of the big cylum light sticks.....and since it would be alot bigger than most conventional bobbers, it would be hard not to see it.

If anyone wants to give it a try here are my plans for what I think should be some nice pop-bottle bobbers.(can't make any guarantees, I haven't tried this yet myself, so have no idea how it will work out)

Fixed in-line pop bottle bobber
    -----------------------------
    Materials:
    20Oz clear plastic pop-bottle
    2 eye-bolts with nuts to fit the threads(this is what you'll tie your line onto)
    30 minute 2 part Epoxy
    2 cans Lexan spraypaint in the colors of your choice(can be bought from most hobbyshops as RC car body spraypaint)
    a drinking straw(this will be taped to the spraycan nozzle to reach down into the pop-bottle)

You're actually going to paint the bottle on the inside, not the outside, this way the paint will last for a long time and you're not releasing any pollutants into the water

First thing you should do is tape the straw to the nozzle of the paint can you want the bottom half of the bottle painted with. Take the cap off the pop-bottle and stick the straw into the bottle(make sure bottle is washed out with dishsoap and allowed to dry completely before you start painting), keep spraying until bottom half is painted......let it dry

Next, do the same thing with the top half with whatever color paint you've chosen for it, you can leave a gap of unpainted area between the two colors if you want to use lightsticks, so that the light has a place to escape......let it dry.

Now you're ready to make the cap, drill a hole through middle of the cap with a drillbit the same diameter as the threads on your eye-bolt, put the threads of the eye-bolt through the hole you just drilled and screw the nut down, tighten as much as possible(but not so much as to deform the plastic.

Do the same thing to install an eye-bolt in the bottom of the pop bottle(you will need a long socket extension to reach inside the bottle and tighten the nut down)

Mix a small amount of the epoxy and gob it up all around the hole that the eye-bolt is in(both on the cap and at the bottom of the bottle), make sure not to leave any airspace..... let the epoxy set.

Screw on the cap.

Pop-bottle slip bobber
    ----------------------
    Materials:
    20Oz clear plastic pop-bottle.
    A foot or 2 of 3/16" or 1/4" diameter RC glow engine rubber fuel tubing.(from your local hobby shop)
    30 minute 2 part epoxy.
    2 cans Lexan RC car body spraypaint(from the hobby shop)

Prep and paint the bottle from the inside exactly the same way as with the fixed pop-bottle bobber)

Drill a hole through the middle of the cap and the bottom of the bottle that is the same diameter as your fuel tubing.

Cut a piece of the fuel tubing as long as the bottle + 1/4" overhang on both ends + 1/2" extra so that you will be able to screw the cap off(if you never intend to take the cap off, you can leave out the extra 1/2")

Run the fuel tubing down through the bottle into the hole through the bottom of the bottle(allow the tubing to protrude through the bottom of the bottle about 1/4"

Mix some epoxy and gob it up around the hole the fuel tubing went through on the bottom of the bottle(carefull not to clog the hole in the tubing).... let dry

Put the cap on and pull some of the fuel tubing through the hole in the cap(allow the tubing to protude 1/4" from the top of the cap), hold the fuel tubing in place while you're screwing on the cap, try not to let the fuel tubing twist too much as you tighten the cap down all the way.

Mix some epoxy and seal the hole at the top of the cap with the fuel tubing....let dry.

For a bobber stop, you can cut off a small 1/2" to 3/4" segment of fuel tubing and make a small hole through the tubing on both ends, just put your line through the holes(maybe use a glass-bead under or over the bobber stop if you want)

Attached Files:

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I have always tightlined but I am also getting ready to bobbers a try.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to use those pool noodle bobbers for live fish. I usually tight line if I'm fishing with cut bait. If I am after channels specifically I like to use small floats a couple feet from the shore with chicken liver. Nothing is set in stone though and I will adjust to the situation. There are plenty of times I set out to bottom fish and every time I pull my bait in it has garbage on it so I will use a bobber. I really don't like those large expensive bobbers you usually see people catfish with, I really prefer the pool noodles.

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the pool noodle bobbers is alot easier to make than what you talking and probaly cheaper to make

10. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Where can I find plans for that one? Oddly enough I've never heard of it

Edit: Ahh, nevermind, I found it.

Is this it? http://www.hookedoncatfish.com/Bobbers.html

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Floats have there place just like everything else. You can make one or buy the best one made from us.
    Wildwolfproducts.com Ours are made to stand up and handle big fish. Made from molded parts, even can be used with glow sticks for night fishing.
    Pete

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109611

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In the early spring I only tightline and then I change over to one tightline one on a bobber until I go a few trips without a hit on the tightline rig, which to me means the water is too hot. I go all on bobber untill the water starts to cool back down and I say one on bobber and one tightline. I think this is effective because I can give the fish different presentations and adjust to the conditions.

14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    the slip flaot helped me get a lot of my fish this past weekend gonna try it more offten and see if theres a big difference or how i can tweek some of my presentations and see if i can make them better?

15. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I TIGHT LINE 99% OF THE TIME BUT I HAVE SEEN GOOD THINGS USING BOBBERS.MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY.

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like bobbers because i can set the depth and let my bait swim over the top of cover and all around it with little chance of it getting hung up.tightlining,you can only fish the edges.l

17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I almost always use a bobber. I use balloons and blow it up just big enough to hold a glow stick around it.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Mostly use tightlining, as I'm in current mostly, but, have started fishing some lakes, and have started using the floats,,

19. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Tightline! I really have'nt fished for cats with a bobber, although I should try it when I know the fish are'nt holding to the bottom!!

20. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i did real good with a float over mem, day weekend gonna try them some more to see if it was luck or i can tweek it a bit