bobber fishing for catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by old newbie, Jul 20, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have never tried this. Do you set the hook just like panfishing with a bobber? I see it working in lakes, does it also work in current?

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have tried it ith those HUGE bobers that you can buy at Bass pro for $.50 a piece and brifted a piece of skipjack and a live bullhead and got 2 ten pounders at the same time...A flathead adn a blue!

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Pretty much all the same .

4. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I could live with that!!! Was that in a lake or on the river?

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I like to fish current with our big floats. I cast along the bank, let the float drift down the bank say 50 to75 yards . This allow me to cover lots of water and not have to move a lot.
    Also find a current seam cast out and the float will allow your bait to sit there in the slack water. Works great fishing this way.
    Check our our floats, http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/ They work great for big baits and big fish. We have people catching Flat heads, Blues and big channels on them all the time. Also does well for Striper's also.
    Pete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  6. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks Pete I'm going to wild wolf products now.:big_smile:

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use the Fat Cat bobber form Pete at Wild Wolf products and im very satisfied with the results. Ive never set the hook with it. When the cat hits the perch and takes it under the bouancy(sp) of the float sets the hook for me. Either that or there really slamming it. I got my P.B channel on the Fat Cat too, a 18#r. I love fishing with floats now, wont switch back to the bottom till they stop hitting on the float. Out of about 20 fish none has been under 10#. :big_smile:

8. sikadelic

sikadelic New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    thats a pretty good idea.,i need to give this a try.,ive had trouble with the current pulling my line all over the place and getting my hung when fishing from the bank of the Ohio

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    They work great in current or slack water. I set the hook but not hard. Floats are a good way to cover alot of water or suspend a bait over structure. I,ve been using water balloons tied to the line for large baits but I think I'm gonna get some of the cat bobbers.

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught some nice 10-15lb flatheads using live gills under a big bobber in lakes before where the bottom is almost impossible to fish because of snags. As for current, my best success using bobbers has been fishing below dams. I set the bobber (to depth accordingly) so the bait is about a foot or 2 off the bottom and drift cut bait below dams this way. I cast out into the current and let it drift down to where the water finally slows, and continue the process with the next cast. Has worked pretty well for me catching channel cats...exciting too when that bobber just stops dead in its tracks in the current and gets sucked under.

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ya its a rush seeing your Kat Bobber go under, reminds of Jaws, when the shark took the 50 gallon drum under the water. Its also pretty cool watching your glowstick clipping under the water at a good rate. You know you got somethun descent when it goes under.