bobber color

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dwreel, Jan 30, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    If I use a small float above the bait to keep the bait off the bottom, does color make any difference ? Kinda curious if anybody has noticed a difference they can atribute to color.

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive never thought about the color makeing a diff guess it might I uselly use white and red basa slip floats and i catch fish.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dont think color matters.:)

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Dick. I've been usein the same method on a carolina rig for quite sometime. Used red,orange,green and yellow pin floats on my leader and have found that no color is better than another.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i use the same rig and have used differnt colors, i cant tell a differnce.but if i dont have my little float on there then i can tell a big differnce

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Most of the Santee guides use red.Just to be contrary I use red and white.In my experience the absolutely best color for the float is whatever color you have on a line in the water with bait on it because all the rest of the floats out of the water regardless of color probably aren't going to catch anything.Size might make a difference depending on what you use for bait.

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I just pretty much use any old color I can find. It never seemed to make a difference on the bite. I do prefere certain types of bobbers over other types though, depending on the situation, of course.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your wanting to attract cats spray-paint your floats black, or just use white dpending on your water's clarity. i read a study in a book a long time ago that showed that blue, flats, and channels are color-blind and see things in shades of gray.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If cats see in shades of gray, then red would be similar to black, yellow closer to how cats see white. Don't think it matters if you paint them or not.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    For cats I don't think color matters that much.They feed more by the smell of the bait or vibrations of live bait. Now some ponds I fish for bluegills to fill my bait-bucket are so pressured that I can throw to them and when they see the float they won't hit the worm. I've had times when 30 or so would surround my bait like a pack of wolves when it hit the water then see the float and all just turn and swim away. Its almost comical unless you have a deadline to get to the river. LOL

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Another thing about that same pond is the little painted turtles will lurk at the edge of casting range watch where your float lands then dive under and swim to the hook and steal your worm without getting caught.

12. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    does anyone have a pic of this type of rig?

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I saw where some colors are better then others. But i never really watched to see some i will have to check on here soon. I use green, Chart and white just the 3 colors they had by the glos when i ordered them. I will keep track and post as i go this may be fun just to see.

14. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The only difference I've noticed is whether I use a bait float or not, ...color?

Can we really prove fish are color blind? Look in a crappie fishermans tackle box or a bass fishermans? Of course that only proves the fisherman is not color blind.