bobber,clicker,or tightline for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, Jun 7, 2009.

1. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    was wondering what people used and thier hook up %. hav'nt tried a bobber:eek:oooh: but i have tried to let them run on a loose drag ah could'nt hook anything:confused2:. only thing i can hook is on a tight drag. was hoping to get info from others and how thier luck was on thier technique?thanks,shane

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Gotta start with I have always used live bait. I use a bobber and clicker most of the time and have a good hook up rate. I like that on the river as I can float my bait to right where I want it. I use a drop sinker below the bait set to depth to help stop it right where I want it. Let em take it and run.
    I just started using cut bait and tightlining seems to work better for that.

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey thaks again for the info you've been very helpfull, shane

4. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    I fish the kentucky river and I use both, I will say that I hook more fish on bobbers than tight line. I fish with live bait and cut bait it all goes on a bobber. I use the thill big fish sliders 8" and they are the best corks Ive used and I have used alot of corks, they never get water logged and start riding low in the water, I also use a straw float above my bobber. So my set up would be a stop knot that is just tied with fishing line around my main line,beed, straw float, beed, bobber, beed, 1.5 oz sinker, beed, and a 50lb mono liter with an 8/0 octupus at the end. I have been fishing this set up for almost ten years and I love it. Granted I dont fish them in real swift water, but then again I rarely fish swift water. I still fish with tight line but my hook up ratio is greater with bobbers. I also use clickers all the time. I have been trying some circle hooks with no success, maybe more luck this year.

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the info,its great you explained the rig i'll have to try it! i hav'nt had any luck with circles on cut or live.how long do you let it go with the bait before you set the hook on a bobber? thanks again, shane

6. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    When the the fish takes the bait, its not always the same but most usually you will see the cork go under followed by the straw float, once the straw is gone its all about watching the line once he has my slack out, sometimes I might reel up just a bit depends on how much slack is out, usually though i dont have to reel up slack it usually takes it and goes, as soon as I feel the fish on my rod Ill let my tip down just a little and set the hook. It is different sometimes though, I like most do tend to doze off sometimes and awake to the clicker then you just fall over youself and hope for the best, nothing like setting the hook and realizing woops it must be a different rod. I will say that I love the straw floats especially with live bait, the bait may take your cork down but it wont get the straw, so you dont sit there wondering if its my bait or is it a run when you go down. I have also hooked flats when I thought it was just channels messing with the bait where the bite would be so light, so really you just have to feel em out sometimes. I dont know if you fish out of a boat or not but I do most of the time, If you bank fish where you get hung up alot use the cheap bobbers that way when you lose em your feelings arnt hurt, its not that the thills are really that expensive but you have to almost order them if you want them, Bass pro has them as well as catfish connection, I order them usually 10 or 12 at a time and I stay stocked because it is the only bobber I like to fish. Good luck with trying this rig Im sure you will like it, everybody who fishes with me loves it.

7. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    well with a circle hook let the cat load the rod before sweeping it up and reeling it in i am a clicker guy always have been it is the sweetest sound in the world especially at nite my man

8. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fished at night with two rods for a long time. I had the same problem of dozing off, hearing a clicker and grabbing the wrong pole. I started taking a small piece of styrofoam and putting it on my line next to the rel. When startled I only had to see which piece of styro had moved, I used pieces off of a coffee cup, hope this helps.

9. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky

Yeah I understand how they are suppose to work, It just seems they dont work that way with me. I will say however that last year when I fished them I would losen my drag enough so that once the rod would get a decent bend it would allow line to go out, It worked some of the time, this year I think I will fish the drag a little tighter. I had 2 safari rods and two tiger uglys that I used last year for my tight lines but never cought enough fish on them to really get the feel of them, Maybe better luck this year, i got 4 new surge elites im throwing in with them also. im not giving up on circles yet, I know alot of people on here fish them with success.

10. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky

I used to do this along time ago when I was a kid, more to see my lines than anything, maybe I should start doing it again, it can get hectic on my boat sometimes, we usually have 12 rods out.

11. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    First let me say thank you for posting this thread alot of useful info in here~!! I bobber with live bait for flatheads with the bait alert and tight line with the bait alert with live bait as well as cut and liver for blues and channels.. all my rigs i run 8/0 double action hooks on.. since ive swapped to them i rarely miss a hit.. the kids love the 3/0s for bait fishin..

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks again,great explanation! shane

13. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i tried the lose drag thing and could'nt hook anything.i guess i just could'nt time it rite or something:angry:.when i started with a tight drag i was catching fish:big_smile:. i think its a lot easier to time the bite. let it bang down al it wants yust resist the urge to grab your rod until its a steady pull. i have'nt tried the bobber yet but i'm going to since it was explained so well on this post.thanks a million guys!! shane

14. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use floats 90% of the time. i like to drift my bait right off bottom next to some sort of cover (rock or wood) or sandbar. you can also kinda guide your bait where you want it to go with a float and a longer rod. i have a realy good hook up ratio i very rarely miss fish with this technique.

15. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circle hooks that I snell to the line and use a tight line with a drag set to feed line when the rod loads up to a certain point. But I am starting to make the switch to Kahle hook that I snell to the line as well. I always make sure there is an offset in the shank on both hooks too. Kahles are the best of both worlds.... they set themselves like a cirle and can also be driven home hard if you must rip the lips off the fish.

16. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    I forgot to mention on your bobber set up, If you do use the thills 8" the 1.5 oz sinker is perfect for every bait it also give it the perfect ride height and will still stand with a light stick taped too it. I also use black tape to wrap all my bobbers up to about 2 inches from the top right were the line is when the flouresent starts. This will help pro long the life of all your bobbers not just the thills, I have some thills that I have been using for 8 yrs and stay in the water sometimes 18 hrs at a time and they just never water log. That being said if you do use other bobbers, you have to play around with your weight to see where you want it to ride. just take a piece of line and tie you a swivel on one end, have it about 3 ft long, and try your weight out on it with the cork and a stop not. Its alot easier to switch the weights on this line to get your ride height than it is to have to play with it on your rod and keep cutting your line. Once your done with it put it in your tackle box till you need it again.also I dont know if you use airline or not for your live well, if so cut you off an old piece, or go to walmart and pick up some for a couple of bucks, and cut you off a bunch of pieces about a 1/4 inch in length and use them as you sinker bumpers. This will protect your knot. I put one on just after the sinker and bevore the swivel on my liter. I forgot to mention that earlier. Just a few more tips I have learned. Good luck Im sure you will love the set up.

17. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    At times I will use many different techniques. I have had a love hate relationship with circles--loosing many fish until I found out where they work the best for me. I'll almost always use a circle on my surf rod and catch most anything that will bite. The reason is when I cast far offshore the stretch of all that line won't allow a sharp hook set with a traditional hook. With circles all that stretch works in their favor, I'll leave the drag light with clicker on or just disengage with the clicker on and let the fish load the heck out of the rod before I do anything. In closer I'll be setting hard on any style j hook fished on the bottom. I like to use floats with circles when fishing faster water like wiers or grand rapids. Just float the hole and cast back upstream again for another pass. Works great for channels and flats. I have found that I catch more fish with circles only using small cut bait.

18. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    Ive been using the octupus 8/0 for so long that I just have faith in them, Im still going to try circles this year again I just need to convince myself that they will work for me. I have a friend that uses circles and he doesnt even fish them right, He sets the hook like any oh j-hook and catches quite a bit of fish. When I tell him how your suppose to fish them he thinks Im lying to him. Like Im the one that needs to give advice on circles anyway, I know the concept and have cought fish with them but not like I here other people doing. Im beginning to wonder if maybe I need different style rods for circles.

19. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, thanks for the advise.i'll put it to use cause i dont mind lerning from you guys. i know your acomplished and know what your talking about! thanks again, shane

20. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    for some reason i've had my best luck on regular old j hooks with offset shank. size 7/0. iget them at the shop in town for 50c. a pc. shane