Bob or Bubba - storage

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nobody Special, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I bought a little Stihl chainsaw a few weeks ago and probably will be using it maybe once or twice a year. What is your recommendations for storage? Run the tank dry or store it with gas with stabilizer?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you aren't gonna use it but about 2 to 3 times a year I would try to remove as much gas as I could from. Then add a little seafoam in it to get to the carb. I have found seafoam has kept gas from souring for about 6 months. It sours quicker in the summer months and if you can keep heat frome it it will be better.
    They way I do mine is like above and then I try to start mine about 1 time a month and let it set and idle and add a small portion of fresh mix to it.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've not had problems with my small engines used for yard work like weed eaters, yard blowers, and chain saws, since they came out with the stabilizers in the oil.

You can't beat a fresh mix though.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks. I have a Cub Cadet that I bought new in 1996 and never did anything to the motor other than change oil and filter once a year. I use Stabil in it in the winter. I have a Sthil weedeater that's almost as old and I put stabil in it too and it's still running like new. The chainsaw will probably spend a lot more time not being used than the other stuff though. The mixing oil is supposed to have stabilizer in it too. I think it's Poulan brand oil.