boats

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by bobcats fan, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    what kind of boat is best to fish on the ohio river a pontoon or a deep v?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    depends on what type of fishing you are doing. If its strictly a family affair I would go with pontoon.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I myself would go with a deep v for fishing the ohio river. It would be your safest choice for the conditions of the river.

4. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    so u are saying a pontoon is less stable than a 16' deepv?

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Generally speaking, the deeper the boat sets in the water naturally, the more stable. The pontoon has the advantage of width. The problem with toons is that the river is like a tunnel when the wind blows and its easy for the air to get up under the boat. I have seen plenty of toons on the Ohio, but for Safety a deep V would be best.

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    The toon is more stable by all means. One problem with the toon would be trying to keep it anchored where you want it on a windy day or if there is alot of current. The other thing you really have to be careful of is big waves or big wakes when you are running the river. After you top one wave and the nose is pointed down the next wave will roll right up on the deck and have a going for a wild ride.

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have seen pontoons make a nose drive twice before once at piedimont lake and at burroak but some of the cause was it was to heavy on the front with people

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just bought a toon so I am by no means an expert but I will tell you what I have encountered so far. A couple of weeks ago during the daily heavy t-storms that were coming every day I was out on the Ohio River. The river was running pretty fast with a lot of debris. I had no problem staying anchored with a river anchor. The back of the boat stayed straight no side to side like you get from a vee boat. The wind was not a problem either because it was running up the river. A very strong storm rolled in on me before I knew it. Gust were 50-60mph and the waves were capping over my rails at times. I ran slow and let the boat ride the waves and really did not have any problems other than the waves coming from everywhere. I was real happy with some of the waves crashing down over my rails that I was not in a boat that would hold water, with the toon it just ran off. If the bottom is sandy and you are trying to anchor cross ways to the wind it can be tough to stay put. I just throw out more anchors till it holds. I am really pleased with my new pontoon. Plus with all the room you can get up walk around or lay down and catch a nap!LOL:smile2:

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the boat decision

10. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    i have a small john boat for local lakes and i just sold my jet ski so i am trying to talk my wife into another fishing boat instead of another go fast stop and get more gas boat thanks for the info

11. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I HAVE A PONTOON. I DO HAVE TROUBLE SOMETIMES WITH KEEPING IT IN ONE SPOT. BUT I USE TWO ANCHORS FRONT AND BACK AND THAT HELPS. I FISH THE RIVER WITH THE TOON AND NO PROBLEMS, ALSO ONLY HAVE A9.9 MOTOR, NO PROBLEMS THERE.
    THE TOON IF SET UP JUST RIGHT HAS PLENTY OF ROOM TO WORK WITH. THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS TRYING TO LIFT A REAL BIG FISH INTO THE BOAT, BECAUSE OF THE HEIGHT OF THE TOON FROM THE SUFACE OF THE WATER . MY TOON IS A 16.FT WITH THE CONSOLE IN THE MIDLE OF THE FLOR. THIS GIVE YOU SPACE TO WALK AROUND, AND YOU CAN SEE WHATS IN THE WATER BETTER WHEN DRIVEING.
    ALSO YOU NOW HAVE A PLACE TO HANG ALL THE POLS , OUT OF THE WAY. I USE HEAVY LAWN CHAIRS FOR SETING, YO CAN SIT THE CHAIR ANYWHERE U WANT. I ALSO MOUNTED POLE HOLDERS ALL A ROUND THE BOAT, TO MATCH WHER YOU MIGHT WANT TO FISH FROM.WHEN YOU SEE BIG WAVES DRIVE STRIGHT THRU AND NOT CROSS WAYS.
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU DECIDE WHAT KIND OF BOAT WOULD FIT YOUR NEEDS.

MOSE:eek:oooh: