Boats

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by turkey buzzard, Dec 20, 2007.

1. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Just got a hold of some extra money my wife bought a Harley and I'm buying a boat.
    Saw an 18 foot, center console, 90 HP, tunnel hull Alumnacraftand it's Camo painted. What do you guys in Texas think!

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Carl,
    Welcome to the BOC.
    I am not from Texas but I will add in my 2 cents. This time of year is about a good as it gets to be in the market to buy a boat. Now if you are trying to sale one it is a different story. I would take my time and look around, test ride if possible and do ask a bunch of questions (like you have started here, good move). If you know how much you are willing to spend that is a start. You need to consider where you will be using the boat (rivers, lakes, etc), how many will be using it with you, your experiences with boats in the past if any (likes and dislikes), storage, live wells, and a few other things. My best advice is not to jump on the first boat you find, unless you have researched it and are making a very educated decision.

Through us out a little more detail about what you expect, want and are planning for a boat and we might be able to better answer your questions. Its all int he details.:smile2:

The boat you asked about sounds like a nice setup but that in the end would be your decision to make. Whether you like it or not. Can you get a test ride on the boat, how about pictures, is it a new boat & motor, how many livewells does it have, what size are the livewells, does it have plenty of floor space, what accessories does it have, what is the value (if used) vs the asking price?
    All thing I would consider when looking for a boat.

Thanks
    David

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Carl,
    David gave you some great advice. Be sure you buy a boat that will fit your needs and the waters you will be fishing. I bought an 2005 18'6" Tracker Targa Deep-V with a 90hp Mercury 2-stroke back in October. I wouldn't trade the style of boat for anything. I needed a boat that would fish up to 4 guests, comfortable for the family, safe for kids, handle rough water and windy conditions on large lakes, draft shallow, and have good fuel economy. This style of boat fit my bill perfectly. I'm not really fond of having carpet in the boat, but it is easier on kids than hard decks. The passenger console takes up some space, but insures a dry, warm and comfortable ride on those cool mornings on the lake. I've attached a picture of my boat and a layout as well. Hope this helps a bit. I belive Cliff Hill has a 20' Alumacraft Tunnel Hull. He can chime in on some specifics with his boat.

Attached Files:

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That is some good advice guys. I bought my first boat this year - a little 15' with a 25 hp motor. Not much, but perfect for a small 2000 acre lake I like to fish as well as a small river near home. It is perfect for a starter, and I plan to move up in a year or so. Good luck - it is indeed a great time of year to buy a boat!

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    sweet lookin rig u got there bobby, looks good!!!

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good advice. And too it has alot to where you will be fishing! I fish the river 90% of the time and I might go up to a big lake two or three trips a year so I bought a 16 semi V all welded G-3 with a 40hp layed out like a bass boat but no carpet. Plenty of floor room and very little under deck storage. It works well for catfishing, bass fishing and running lines, I even built a gar deck that slips on and off for bow fishing for gar. It's a all around good boat for the places I fish. If I was going to spend 90% of my time on a huge lake with thousands of acres of water and big waves I would not have picked my boat. That needs to be one of the first things you need to look at is where you plan to fish and buy a baot that suits the water you plan to be on most. A great deal is as only as good as the amount of use you get out of it when it comes to a boat. I use mine all the time but if I had a 18' boat with a big motor when the river got low I could not even launch it. Just something I found out with the last pretty, fast, fancy bass boat that I got a great deal on that I was so happy to sell to get the boat I have now!! LOL

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Aron you can run that boat most anywher if you aunttt toooo....My first boat was a 14ft polarcraft and now I have 15 Lowe,I am running a 15hp Johnson seahorse and I trust it to be safe most anywhere and I mainly run the Missippi.There are days to just not go out and places to not go.:wink:

8. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 18 foot Alumacraft allweld tunnel with pods and a 50 horse 2 stroke engin. I have had it for 6 years. It took awhile to get use to it, but its my favorite of the three I have. The plus side of a tunnel is it will get you in and out of skinney water if you also have a hyd. jack plate on it. I use it on lakes and rivers, plus the bays on the coast. The negative side is they use a little more gas, takes more area to back up, and when running at high speed and trimmed out, they don't steer positive till you ease back on the throttle and let the boat settle a little so the hull can contact the water. Always run a water pressure gage with this setup and watch it all the time. You can damage an engin real quick if you pick up some moss or debre in the water and restrict the flow of coolant to the power head. Definitely give any boat you buy a test ride. You are asking for trouble if you buy it on the trailer. Catfishjon

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you are not in a hurry, check out a 17 or 18 ft. bluewave. they are fiberglass, but light and you can fish anywhere in these. my friend has an alumacraft and the only difference in his and mine is the ride in rough water. the bluewave wins that. both catch fish and are comfortable.

10. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I have the Alumacraft 2072 semiv tunnel boat with a 90 yammy on it. I love it and wouldn't trade it for nothing but you'll here that from all of us on here about our respective boats...LOL.
    Seriously, I'm a shallwo water cat man so it suits me best and no gel coat to worry about. The boat is good and can be a bit rough in 25 mph winds but once you get on plane..it's not that bad. I have a 13 pitch prop which allows me to shoot out pretty fast on plane.
    The only complaint I have is storage. Not much of that I use the captians cooler as storage for my gear and have an addtional cooler up front for fish.
    If you want to talk my number is in my signiature. Give me a call and I'd be happy to go over specfics.
    Like bobby and Tuffish said, the blue wave and the deep V will give you a dryer and more comfortable ride in harsh condtions. Just someting to consider.
    Cliff

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    All I can tell you is get a bigger boat than you think you'll need. Boats have a terrible habit of shrinking when you get all of your stuff in them!

12. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a lowe 1648sc tunnell hull Aluminum with a 25hp 2 stroke. It's not the fastest thing out on the water but the fuel economy is worth it. I have a 6 gallon tank and can go out several days without having to re-fuel. I fish a small lake (Calaveras in San Antonio) and can crusie all around the lake.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    One of my b in laws has a 18ft bluewave and it runs great in shallow water at the coast and on choke canyon lake in 3 rivers, tx. But that would be ur decision as to which one is best for u!!!