Boats on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by airforceben, Mar 21, 2007.

1. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    anybody bought a boat of ebay? im just a little afraid to bid on something i havent seen

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Ben, If you do an advanced search, you will be able to search boats in your local area, allowing you to go look at them before you bid. Vern

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I never have bought a boat on Ebay. But I have bought the last 3 trucks I've owned and my wifes Cad on Ebay. I have no complaints on what I have bought on Ebay. It's better than dealing with some car saleman, as you can quit any time. No line of BS to deal with.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I've never bought a boat on Ebay but I've sold boats & outboards. I've also bought outboards on Ebay.

For what it's worth, check feedback and reputation of seller. Ask lots of questions. If the seller doesn't answer specific questions, evades answering, doesn't get back to you, takes forever to respond, etc., then you know where you stand. Ask for more pictures if you need too. Someone unwilling to accommodate, isn't going to get my bid.

There's always SOME risk involved but there is for the seller also. I've had very few bad experiences.

Good luck!

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great advice by Shane.

You can also ask the seller to have the boat checked by a mechanic and to provide you with a report. Or you can find somebody in the area that is willing to go and check the boat for you. There are lots of mobile mechanics.

Also, check out Craigslist - www.craigslist.org
    Lots of listings for boats, and you can pick the area you want to search to keep it close to home.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I bought my 24' SeaArk with 140hp 4 stroke on it off of ebay for less then half what the boat is worth after a few messages back and forth asking questions about it. I had to go to Dallas TX from here in Ohio to pick it up but I'm really happy with the deal I got.

7. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Ben if you talk to bluesclues on here he got one off of ebay 2 years ago in ST Louis he could give you some insight.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    all i got to say bout it is to make sure that the seller has a clear title for the boat and the trailer... and make sure that u get both titles before giving the full payment... if u can find one in your local area it makes it easier as u can bring cash and have the person sign the titles and turn them over to u on the spot, and then u don't have to pay shipping for someone else to go pick it up for u.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have bought and sold many motor vehicles via Ebay. Have a clue as to value, study the sellers rep, and don't get excited. I will be listing 2 boats this week (if I find the time)