The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Alright guys im bringing my boat stuff back to my boat thread so I'm not blowing up my white river thread haha anyways while I'm waiting for my stuff to get delivered I had thought of a question. Now this might be common sense stuff but I'm new to working on things so I don't know. When Im applying the gasket sealant, is it going to go on both sides of the gasket or just one side ? Im assuming both sides and I'm going to read the instructions but figured I would ask to see if anyone has experience with it.

·
Administrator
10,661 Posts
Both sides Jon. You can apply it to the side going against the engine and when it has been put in place, apply it to the outer side then. Or you can apply it to one side and put the gasket on the water jacker cover. Then apply it to the other side. Put two bolts in and use then to get the water jacket cover lined up before sliding it into place. The entire surface of the gasket needs a (thin) coat of sealant.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thanks Tom, that makes sense. I'm going to start cleaning off the old gasket tomorrow . I need to stop and get some razors. Thought I had some but cant find any. Im going to look for a small one with a handle, that should be helpful for the hard to reach spots.

·
Administrator
10,661 Posts
They make a thin razor blade holder for scraping. They are only a couple bucks at Lowe's or similar places. Be sure and get the one sided blades. With double sided, you will lose fingers. Keep in mind that the water in the cooling system is not under high pressure. Because you are using sealant, this does not have to be perfect.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts