The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

Administrator
Ok, I see what they are saying. Worried about the charging fumes damaging the charger.

You have a couple of places in the back where you could put it. I doubt your leads are long enough to have it under the helm though and have the cables reach the rear where the batteries are at.

Again, nothing says it has to be bolted in place right away. Take some time to decide.

Administrator
And whether you talking wires to feed a trolling motor or wires to plug into the wall to feed a battery charger, the problems and requirements are still much the same. In both cases, the actual wire size needs to be a minimum size to be able to provide enough power. The longer the wire is, the bigger it need to be to get enough of the power to the other end. So long extension cords have more voltage drop, SO to offset that you need a larger AWG wire to compensate for it.

Now most items like battery chargers will say something like "do not use an extension cord". That is mainly because the wire used in many extension cords are too small. Made for Christmas lights or other light loads. That is actually the only problem. If you look at all the wiring involved. that transformer on the pole in front of your house is where the 120 volt system begins and heads to your house. Wires there are big, 2/0 4/0 ballpark. Then it enters your house wiring at your stitch box which is also heave wire but from there it typically goes down to #12 AWG. It traveled a good distance in the walls, possibly all the way from one end of the house to the other where it gets to the receptacle in the garage where you would plug in your charger. The power cord on your charger are big enough to provide what is needed for that appliance so, the only possible WEAK spot could be an extension cord IF it does not have wires big enough to provide what is needed. Finally If a #12 AWG wire running in your wall to the receptacle is big enough to do the job, a 10 or 15 foot extension cord that uses #12 AWG wire would be no different than your normal house wiring, just more flexible.

This is a long way around the horn to just express the thought that this stuff is not magic. It has scientific rules that can be used to ensure it can safely work. All this boils down to a wire is a wire is a wire. It has a conductor. It has an insulate coating for safety and the size of the wire is what determines what it is capable of doing.

Administrator
Hey that looks great Jon. Looks like it is what you needed. Now, Charge those batteries. haha

Reactions: cadyman

Registered
Jon from Indiana
Discussion Starter #89
Well dangit, as I was about to hook this battery charger up I see my gas tank is wet. I touch it and smell, its gas. I found that its ever so slightly cracked at the very top corner of the gas can. Looks like something else on the long list of boat stuff to buy!

I guess I will pull my gas can away from my batteries and charger while its charging, probably some kind of danger there.

Registered
Winston, Indiana
................I guess I will pull my gas can away from my batteries and charger while its charging, probably some kind of danger there.
Jon,
You get the prize for understatement of the week馃槈
There is definitely some kind of danger..... the very worse kind. It鈥檚 good you found it.

...W

Administrator
After you pull the can / tank away from your batteries and charger, pull it just outside the garage door. You don't want a garage full of fumes and vapors. That tank had been around for a few eons so replacing it is probably a good idea. Now if the hose and gas cap seem ok, keep them. Use the hose and the cap is a spare.

Do some thinking about how big of a tank you want. typical sizes are 6 gallon and 12 gallon. Yours was a 10 or 12 gallon wasn't it?

Administrator
Well, that has been a while in coming. Getting the boat at your house is a major improvement in ou being able to get things done. And not just that it isn't 8 miles away now but it is also inside. Being inside and out of the weather will be a big help.

Now try not to make "vrruumm vvrruumm" noises while your drinking your coffee. lol

It looks like you left the trailer light wires in tact when you modified the trailer. You might want to get a male and female 4 prong plug and insert it there by the winch stand. that would let you clean up the wiring a little and you could move the trailer tongue anywhere you want. Of course that is just an option and even if you think that is something worth doing, there is no hurry. It will do fine like it is.

enjoy your coffee

Administrator
Matt, although some won't admit it, I think most of us have sat in our (new or new to us) land locked boat dreaming a little. I know I have so don't tell anyone.

One thought I had on your boat and the addition of that trolling motor. Before you do all the work to add that trilling motor, you should do some serious measuring. Your style of boat typically sets high on the water in the nose. Measure to make sure the trolling motor shaft is long enough to work right for you. It is not unusual for a person to measure the distance from the water to where the motor will be mounted and later realize that when he is anywhere but on the nose of the boat, his prop is catching air.

You may be fine and I hope you are but with all the work to add a motor, it is worth being sure.

good luck

Registered
Jon from Indiana
Discussion Starter #99
Well I had an extra male female cord so I tried it. Didn't quite turn out like I wanted because of the ground wire but that can probably be rewired some how. If I can get that ground rewired into the attachment piece then i can have the plugs disconnect where the trailer disconnects. It almost looks like they did this at one piont and retaped it up. Good enough for now, it still looks alittle cleaned up.

Sidenote, metal shavings aren't fun

Administrator
That ground should be able to be shortened and connected to the trailer tongue with just a little work. once you determine exactly how it will work best for you, you can shorten everything up OR bundle it up out of the the way and make it look good. I either wrap the wiring system going from the trailer tongue to the truck with electrical tape for extra protection or get some flexible plastic wire tubing for it to be in.

Bet it is a great feeling to be able to tinker with it there at home.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts