The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is for you guys that use a boat. My brother finaly got his boat and trailer all in working condition and our step dad is wanting to take my brother and I out alittle on friday to show us how to backup the trailer, unload, start boat, gas mixing, getting use to driving the boat, reloading the boat, ect. , all the basic stuff he knows.

My question for you guys, where would be a good place to start? I was thinking a reservoir or small pond. But on the reservoirs does Indiana require a lake permit as well? I was thinking if thats a yearly purchase it probably wouldn't be worth it to buy this late in the year. I have a couple small ponds around here but you cant launch a watercraft in them. I know we shouldn't be getting in the river just yet as it has current and we have zero boat experience. I think we should go out acouple times atleast before gettin in the river. I know its not a big river but its still a river. I know we need to respect the water.

Any comments, suggestions, tips, opinions, anything is welcomed. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Hi Jon. If you launch in one of the reservoirs, you would need a Lake Permit.

(All private watercraft using a state park lake, state-managed lake, state forest lake or Division of Outdoor Recreation lake must have a current year DNR Lake permit.)

For a motorized boat this permit cost $25 per year.

This permit is not needed for the river or private lakes.

For a beginner, just learning the ropes, you are right to avoid the river. White River has more current than the Ohio river and a lot more stumps/snags sticking up to damage your boat.

I do not know of any lakes in your area or close that sold not require the permit. I would think Indy Lake, would not be bad as far as current goes because of the down stream dams. But I would want to talk to others that have launched there before making your decision. I am sure there are shallow places from the satellite photos I have seen.

If you do launch in Indy lake to check out a new boat, I would suggest going up stream until you are satisfied that the motor will run ok. At least the slow current there will take you back to the ramp. The ramp below 29th Street Bridge looks good but I have never launched there.

Of I can help at all, let me know.

tight lines

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
If you decide to just bight the bullet and get the $25 permit, Cataract is a good place to go. They have a DNR office just north of the State Park entrance with a nice parking lot to turn around in. Then go to the Cunot Ramp (where we went) so there are no park fees and it also has the best ramps. Cataract has started dropping the water level but it still should be ok for a couple of days.

tight lines

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Tom I will look into lake indy. If we do get the lake permit I was thinking raccon or catarack like you said. Eagle creek would be more idea as its more closer but I know they have restrictions on motor sizes and I have no idea what kind of motor he has. We have a lot of learning to do.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,080 Posts
Lake Indy is not an option with the 16th Street dam broken.

Eagle Creek reservoir would be your best bet, provided that the boat has a 9.9hp motor or less. You can also launch if you have a larger motor as long as you have a gas powered kicker that is 9.9hp or less.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found out my brother has a 40hp engine. And the only other motor he has is acouple trolling motors. So thats out now. I wanted to go there because its close for all of us. Plus I called them and they said they don't require the lake permit so we can just launch for 5 bucks.

Im going to keep searching around. Still open for suggestions. Wanted to avoid getting the lake permit if possible since this years coming to an end. But we might just have to.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Thanks for the input Eric. I didn't know the condition of the 16th street dam.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
About a year ago I was trying to load my my boat in a swift current and I had to try it like five hundred times. First I had to go in upstreamso I would arrive straight on, but then before I could get to the front to start winching th current would grab the back end of the boat and get me all jacked up.

Also it had gotten dark so then I had like ten thousand mayflies in my truck.

:biggrin1:

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp change of plans, its suppose to be raining all throughout the day tomorrow so we changed it to Tuesday. Weather guessers say its suppose to be nicer out. Fingers crossed.

So far the plan was just getting the lake permit and go to raccon. But Im going to keep looking since I have a few more days. My stepdad is coming from northside and I hate for him to drive such a distance. So any input is still welcome guys.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Lake Permit. I was kinda curious about this. And wondered if it was the sticker I get every year when I register my boat and it's not. I really don't get on lakes too much so I looked it up. Learn something new every day.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/8521.htm

All private watercraft using state park, reservoir or forestry lakes must have this permit. This includes personal watercraft, motorboats, canoes, paddleboats, rowboats and all watercraft moored at marinas, private docks, group docks or bank ties.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You could always try launching into White River at Broad Ripple Park. The river is plenty low right now and not much current there around the ramp. I was just over there the other day and it's really low and slow right now. It's a decent boat path. You won't have any issues with bottoming out in shallow water or hitting anything on the boat path. There is a lowhead dam about a mile downstream from the ramp. And if you go upstream with how low it is you have maybe a mile before you hit the skinny water around the 7100 block in Ravenswood. Now if you felt comfortable going through that, once you get by the Yacht Club, you've got a good couple mile stretch of boatable water upstream from there as well. That shallow area just before the Yacht Club is tricky to navigate if you've never done it before, so maybe not the best for a first time boat trip. But you have about a mile south of the ramp and a mile north of the ramp to play around with if you're just trying to get your feet wet with the boat (not literally wet, that'd be bad :cry:, but you know what I mean lol).

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my search of nearby lakes I ran into glenn flint. Anyone have any experience there? Is there a launch fee? Also waveland came up. Same questions for that lake as well.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Looks like a nice lake Jon. I have never been there before. The ramp looks good on google earth and the main lake has good deep water with the channel running along the east side. I have no idea what they charge but there appears to be a small marina at the ramp. Good chance that it will not be attended this time of year. I also don't know if it requires the lake permit.

You can go on computer to "webapp" to see the depth map.

tight lines

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had email waveland earlier today and they got back with me. Its 7 dollars for gate fee and 7 dollars for launch fee so 14 altogether. No lake permit required, I didn't see this lake on the list of lakes that do require it but I wanted to double check it. Also no motor restrictions. So that may be an option but I'm going to check out a few more in depth tomorrow.

The more I think about it though might as well get the dang permit because we like to fish both racoon and catarack (both require it) and there are spots we can launch at both places for free. I think I'm over thinking this. I just want us to get out at least a time or three in the boat to get use to it before getting into the river. We both have been on boats just never in charge of them.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Since you want to get out several times to get used to the boat, it sounds like you may as well just pay for the lake permit and go to Cataract or Raccoon. Both have good ramps. The permit is $25 and I get mine at the DNR office at Cataract. I would call first to make sure the office is open but I think it is every weekday anyway.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Keep in mind that they are starting to lower the water in both of the mentioned lakes to winter levels.

How is your faith in the new boat and motor Jon. Do you anticipate any problems?

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly I'm not sure, thats another reason we are taking it out, to make sure the motor is good and running. The boat itself seems fine. I just don't know anything about motors.

Good point about them lowering the water levels, I will keep that in mind when we go. I'll remember to call ahead and make sure the ramps are accessible. I'm thinking racoon but still need to talk with my brother.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
1 - 20 of 104 Posts