Boating problems on white river!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by lfeduccia, Aug 1, 2008.

1. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I am sorry about haveing to place this thread.

How many of you have have had problems with stupid fools boating on the river?

I can not count the times I found a hole and got all my poles out and ready for that nice catch when low and behold some dumb fool comes flying by at full throttle launching my boat and missing up my lines. I really hate it when they pass within a couple of feet at any speed.

#1 The laws in Indiana to my knowledge is when passing an anchored vessel the boat passing is required to slow down and pass at a safe and slow speed (idle zone).
    #2 Any time from dusk tell dawn is all Idle zone and speeding is illegal.

If you are passing a boat within a couple of feet that is anchored chances are you well catch their fishing lines which can damage the fishermans reel, pole, and definitly their lines. When you are at a distance flying by at full throttle you will cause the boat to rock making their anchors come loose and the boat to move and if you ever anchored next to a rock or tree and have had this happened you know the damage that can cause. Which this can also tangle lines creating more problems or worst yet knocking someone off into the water.

So please when boating show people the common courtesy and be kind slow down.

If I am wrong please let me know.

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hear ya brother.. By the way welcome to the BOC

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Keep a rod with a 5OZ bank sinker tied on the end. When they come by cast as hard as you can at the hull of the boat. Smile and say oops, sorry about that.

4. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    That sounds like fun, but I think I better keep my gun close late at night if I do that.......LOL

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like its a reacuring problem around you. if so, video it bud. or better yet string some 100# spider wire across about head high, then video it. depends on what rating you want for your video. lol

seriously though, ask the co. about it.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm probably one of the most considerate to bank and boat fisherman but there has been times when I havent seen them until I was right on top of them. I always apologize but still get a glare... lol

Other times I've been in a boat with someone else and I'll say "hey man, theres someone fishing there" and the captain has ignored me... so be sure and hit the Captain with that 50 oz sinker and be sure it was possible to easily see you before you open fire:big_smile:

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im normally on the bank.. but I can fling some sinkers.. lol

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I was 7 I think and my grandpa had a problem with a powerboat buzzing way too close to our dock, drenching people on the dock and laughing. Continually coming way to close to the dock with people swimming etc.

So one day he grabs a small empty 2 cycle oil can, and fills it with pearock. Takes it down to the dock and puts it under the bench.

Next day the boat comes screaming up the lake, its going to pass within 10 feet of our dock at full power. Grampa calmly reaches down, picks up the can, looks, gives the can a flick.

Boat takes the can right in the windshield spraying pearock like a shotgun blast. The driver made a lot of noise but in the end he was in the wrong and he knew it.

Common respect and courtesy seems to be a dieing concept. But there have always been problem people.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That pearock idea ain't a bad one, wish I were prepared like that when some idiots flew by so close they actually hit the log pile I was fishing.

lfeduccia- you have every right to be pissed off, I'm with Tim; video tape them and turn it over to the CO, he can't do much with only your word, but if he has a tape and someone else complains too- he can probably give someone a real bad day.

10. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    what part of white river u having problem

11. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    Raymond and west street, also West bait and tackle part, Up near 59th street at the park, well dam near every part of the river I have tried to fish in.

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    AMEN BROTHER!!! I don't have a boat, but the same problem with boaters on the lake at 2:00am. I still fish the banks!!!

13. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if ur fishen white river it's goen 2 happen unfortunally, it's only 50 yards wide in areas. it should not happen in lakes, rivers it's goen 2 happen. i know in my boat u go slow and ur in trouble. jet motors only run fast, no control when goen slow and possiablity 2 hit something under the boat greater. sorry, but i ant moven slow in the river day or night, catch me if u can!

14. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    probably where u fishen:smile2:

15. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I found out that when passing a boat with in 100feet you can travel no faster then 5 miles hour. I am still trying to find out the fines, but I do know that any tickets you get on the water for reckless driving well go agianst a persons D.L. (driver licenses) and you can even get your D.L. suspended for reckless driving on a boat. I also know I got a $175 ticket for not having my anchor lights on and that was points placed on my D.L.

16. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    Here is a list of boating laws I found on the net.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Indiana[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]All motorboat operators in Indiana must have a valid driver's license to operate on all public waters. Operators who are at least 15 years of age and don't have a driver's license may operate a motor vessel if they take a NASBLA-approved Boater Education course and have an I.D. Card issued by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV)[/FONT]
    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/stateregs.htm

This web page gives the basic information
    http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/Indiana.html

This is the Indiana Hand Book.
    http://www.boat-ed.com/in/handbook/

Never fuel at night unless it is an emergency. If you must refuel after dark, use only electric lights. Try to refuel away from the water or on a commercial fueling ramp

When operating a power-driven vessel, you must give way to:
    • Any vessel not under command, such as an anchored or disabled vessel
    • Any vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver, such as a vessel towing another or laying cable, or one constrained by its draft, such as a large ship in a channel
    • A vessel engaged in commercial fishing
    • A sailboat under sail unless it is overtaking
    Operating a boat or PWC in a manner that unnecessarily endangers a person or property of another person is considered dangerous. If you interfere with another person’s lawful use of public water or obstruct a legally permitted marine event, you also may be charged. Should you be ticketed by a law enforcement officer for one of the crimes listed below, you could have points assessed against your driver’s license.
    • Examples of illegal and reckless operation are:
      • Operating a vessel at speeds that endanger human life, endanger human physical safety or property, or prevent stopping within an assured clear distance ahead. Be aware of and obey all regulatory markers, including those marked as “idle speed” or “slow, no wake speed
      • Operating a vessel at speeds of more than 10 miles per hour between sunset and sunrise (IC 14-15-3-8).
      • Weaving your vessel through congested waterway traffic or swerving at the last possible moment in order to avoid collision.
      • Jumping the wake of another vessel such that you endanger human life, human physical safety, or property.
      • Loading the vessel beyond the recommended capacity shown on the capacity plate installed by the vessel manufacturer.
      • Causing a hazardous wake or wash from your vessel (IC 14-15-3-15).
      • Boating in restricted areas without regard for other boaters or persons, posted speeds and wake restrictions, diver-down flags, etc (312 IAC 5).
      • Operating in a circular course around another vessel engaged in fishing or around a person swimming.
      • Operating within 150 feet of a diver-down flag unless assisting the diver (IC 14-15-9-5).
      • Allowing passengers to ride on the gunwale or, if the vessel is less than 21 feet in length, on the bow where they may fall overboard (IC 14-15-3-24).
    • Lake and channel restrictions vary depending on the size of the body of water or the waterway. You may be restricted to speeds up to 10 miles per hour anywhere from 50 to 200 feet from the shoreline, depending on the size of the lake or the width of the channel (IC 14-15-3-7).
    “Idle Speed” or “Slow, No Wake Speed” IC 14-8-2-129
    These buoys or signs indicate a boating restricted area established to protect the safety of the public, ecological resources, and property. “Idle speed” means the slowest possible speed, not to exceed five miles per hour, so as to maintain steerage and produce minimal wake.

Just remeber this as a boater you are responsible for your wake. If your wake causes someone to have a injury or lost equipment or even knocking someone into the water you are responsible for replacing what ever you have torn up or destroyed. So if you fly by someone and they are knocked into the water becouse of it you may have to replace their damage clothing and electronics. Like cell phones which most people carry. Most phones can cost between $200 and $600. Knowing this if I get knocked into the water I will hunt you down and call the police on my buddies phone.

I hope this helps a little.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well, good luck in your quest bro.. I understand the frustration, But I think you'll be pretty much on your own with that on the river though... unless the law actually sees it happen. I couldnt even get cops to do anything about punk teenagers driving reckless in a neighborhood full of little kids. So I dealt with it myself.... it's more effective that way anyhow.
    If it bothers you enough, just buck-up and kick some @$$, thats how folks do it around my parts. If you can't catch 'em on the water, at least you know where they've parked their rigs... right? They've gotta come in sooner or later....